Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Time to mow an acre ?

I'm looking at a house that has a few acres of oland, almost all grass.
How long does it take to mow ? Never had that much grass before.
Let's say I'm using a typical riding mower, riding at the fastest safe
speed, on dry level ground, and I don't care about it being perfect.

If a mower can mow a swath 3 feet wide, and there's 43560 sq ft in an
acre, the mower has to travel at 2.75 mph to do an acre in an hour.
Can a mower go 5.5 mph, so the acre only takes half an hour ?

Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

If a mower can mow a swath 3 feet wide, and there's 43560 sq ft in an
acre, the mower has to travel at 2.75 mph to do an acre in an hour.
Can a mower go 5.5 mph, so the acre only takes half an hour ?

Mowing speed depends on how fast the cutters rotate
(more than on travel speed over the ground.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Yeah, an hour a week to mow a flat acre is one thing but 6 hours (or
whatever) to mow 3 rolling acres is another. Hadn't thought about the
RPM, that's a good point. Thank you.

David W.

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:6CFYd.316
:

wrote in message
oups.com...

If a mower can mow a swath 3 feet wide, and there's 43560 sq ft in an
acre, the mower has to travel at 2.75 mph to do an acre in an hour.
Can a mower go 5.5 mph, so the acre only takes half an hour ?

Mowing speed depends on how fast the cutters rotate
(more than on travel speed over the ground.)

Total time is very dependant on how much landscaping, trees, etc. you have
to work around.

My 1/2 acre suburban yard took about 2 hours to mow with a push mower. My 3
acre yard took about 8 hours with a 42" lawn tractor.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:48:02 -0600, someone wrote:

There are mowers out there adapted to mowing larger parcels like
you have. You could do it in under 30 minutes with the right
mower, or up to 2 hours with the garden variety discount store
special.

What he said. But the total job time has a lot to do with
obstructions and trimming, not just the raw s.f.

Ever see a landscaper riding the drag platform behind a "Skag" type
commercial mower? They damn well are doing more than 5 mph - in flat
open areas.

But one Q is - how much is it worth to you to save that half hour?
How many thousands of dollars vs. how many times a year the half hour
will be saved.

How much needs to be mowed how often? I do not consider an acre or
two to be much land; my house is on 12 acres. However, we only lawn
mow about 1 acre, another acre or so is brush mowed 2x per year, the
rest is woods (no mowing).

On 12 Mar 2005 09:42:59 -0800, someone wrote:

Yeah, an hour a week to mow a flat acre is one thing but 6 hours (or
whatever) to mow 3 rolling acres is another.

Many people with that much land do not mow it all to "lawn" standards
every week. Just the part immediately around the house is "lawn" and
the rest is "field" or "pasture". If you have enough, someone might
even come "hay" it for free in exchange for taking the hay. But you'd
have to be willing to let the "hay" part get several feet tall.

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at a house that has a few acres of oland, almost all grass.
How long does it take to mow ? Never had that much grass before.
Let's say I'm using a typical riding mower, riding at the fastest safe
speed, on dry level ground, and I don't care about it being perfect.

If a mower can mow a swath 3 feet wide, and there's 43560 sq ft in an
acre, the mower has to travel at 2.75 mph to do an acre in an hour.
Can a mower go 5.5 mph, so the acre only takes half an hour ?

This is Turtle

Your asking a open question by what you ask. With a 30" Snapper mower you could
move about 1 acre in about 45 minutes and then if you wanted to get a 64" pull
mower and pull it with a 4 wheeler at 30 M.P.H. you could do a Acre in about 10
to 15 minutes.

With all these veriables, it will be hard to really say anything about time to
do it.

TURTLE