Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tune Smith

Default Any opinions on what garbage bins ruining a condo view is worth?

Hi, my girlfriend's condo management is going to position the
building's garbage bins right in front of her second floor balcony. Her
view will be, imho, ruined, and she will have to keep her drapes closed
to avoid the unsightly view. Garbage truck pickups will also occur
regularly.

My question: What is the "economic impact" of this particular unsightly
view on her middle-class condo? If there are any studies available on
the Internet, could you kindly provide the link(s), too? Thanks in
advance for all comments, suggestions, and perspectives.

Again, what is the impact of a garbage bin view on a condo value?

ameijers

"Tune Smith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, my girlfriend's condo management is going to position the
building's garbage bins right in front of her second floor balcony. Her
view will be, imho, ruined, and she will have to keep her drapes closed
to avoid the unsightly view. Garbage truck pickups will also occur
regularly.

My question: What is the "economic impact" of this particular unsightly
view on her middle-class condo? If there are any studies available on
the Internet, could you kindly provide the link(s), too? Thanks in
advance for all comments, suggestions, and perspectives.

IMHO, if the window is already facing the parking lot, little or no impact.
(Esp. considering some of the butt-ugly cars they are now selling.) On the
other hand, if they are adding a paved peninsula around the side in what
was previously yard, yes, that does decrease the value of the unit, but it
is a 'how far is up' question. No way to know for that location w/o selling
2 identical units, same complex, one with dumpster view, one without.
Closest analogy you will likely be able to find numbers for is resort
hotels, ocean view vs. parking lot view.

Personally, I'd lean on condo management to fence in the dumpsters, and
enforce a strict gate-closed and cleanup policy. Hauling company hates
enclosed dumpsters, so trash fee may go up. but at least they will be
screened. Or did you mean they will be spotting the dumpsters Right Under
her balcony? That would be highly rude- they should go on the side of the
lot opposite the buildings.

aem sends...

TURTLE

"Tune Smith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, my girlfriend's condo management is going to position the
building's garbage bins right in front of her second floor balcony. Her
view will be, imho, ruined, and she will have to keep her drapes closed
to avoid the unsightly view. Garbage truck pickups will also occur
regularly.

My question: What is the "economic impact" of this particular unsightly
view on her middle-class condo? If there are any studies available on
the Internet, could you kindly provide the link(s), too? Thanks in
advance for all comments, suggestions, and perspectives.

Again, what is the impact of a garbage bin view on a condo value?

This is Turtle.

Monday Morning I would be talking to the City Zoning Department and filing a
compl;aint as to the problem. then fight like hell. The Next step is file a
conplaint to the Zoning department and stay on them. Now even in a two horse
town in louisiana has Zoning laws that don't let businesses into condo area of
the city.

TURTLE

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:29:02 -0600, someone wrote:

... Now even in a two horse
town in louisiana has Zoning laws that don't let businesses into condo area of
the city.

TURTLE

Turtle, your reading comprehension sucks more than usual this morning.

Nobody is putting a business into a "condo area", the condos have (or
are getting) new dumpsters. The dumpsters are part of the condos.

Personally, I wouldn't want to look at them. But OP asking for a
"study" posted on the internet? Even if there was such a "study", it
would not be of this particular condo and that particular dumpster so
proves NOTHING that we don't already know. The Q is not whether they
are positive or negative, but whether the influence is $1 or $100,000.
And no internet study is gonna prove that, to either management or the
courts.

TURTLE

"v" wrote in message
[...]

Well, this paint a different picture totally and missed this one.

I just can't see spending good money on a home that you can't tell someone to
not do something in my front yard if i so feel to do so. If I got into this case
I would not be worried about lowering my property value but have my lawyer
talking to the fellow in charge of the dump area being put there in the first
place. Every Dumpster areas that i have ever seen in my area on apartments or
Condos was at the end of the building or at the back area but never in the front
area of the condos or apartments. Now I just maybe a old way thinker as to doing
right and out of the way, but the new way is put it where it cost the least to
maintain.

TURTLE

Al Bundy

Don't you have a condo association that votes on these things? Doesn't
your girlfriend participate in the changes? Won't she also benefit by
not having to carry her garbage so far? She could toss her garbage
off the balcony to the dumpster and save a trip. Keeping the drapes
closed is probably a hugh plus to the other tenants not wanting to see
you both.
There's no economic loss until she goes to sell and perhaps the
dumpsters will be elsewhere by then.

Demon

"Tune Smith" wrote in message
Hi, my girlfriend's condo management is going to position the
building's garbage bins right in front of her second floor balcony. Her
view will be, imho, ruined, and she will have to keep her drapes closed
to avoid the unsightly view. Garbage truck pickups will also occur
regularly.

My question: What is the "economic impact" of this particular unsightly
view on her middle-class condo? If there are any studies available on
the Internet, could you kindly provide the link(s), too? Thanks in
advance for all comments, suggestions, and perspectives.

Again, what is the impact of a garbage bin view on a condo value?

They probably will raise her condo fees since she can just toss the trash
out the window into a bin. Hard telling what they will charge her to look
at some burly guy driving a garbage truck.

Al Bundy

Demon wrote:
"Tune Smith" wrote in message
[...]

And how about the advantage of getting first pick of all the "perks"
that show up in the dumpster? The poster is just mad that he will be
found out picking up his gifts for the girlfriend.