Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

99windstar

Default Bath Tub stopper??

We have a bath tub that has one of those stoppers that has 'push' printed on
it. I push it to fill the tub, push it again it pops up and drains the tub.
How one earth can I remove this stopper completely from the tub? I need to
unclog the drain plus I would rather use some other stopper since this
current stopper does not hold water in the tub when taking a bath. It slowly
lets water drain, grrr takes a very long time to fill a soaking tub when
water isn't being stopped.

Speedy Jim

99windstar wrote:
We have a bath tub that has one of those stoppers that has 'push' printed on
it. I push it to fill the tub, push it again it pops up and drains the tub.
How one earth can I remove this stopper completely from the tub? I need to
unclog the drain plus I would rather use some other stopper since this
current stopper does not hold water in the tub when taking a bath. It slowly
lets water drain, grrr takes a very long time to fill a soaking tub when
water isn't being stopped.

IIRC, on that one the "knob"will spin freely if you try to "unscrew"
it. What you do is lift the knob up as you slowly turn it. You should
feel a point where it catches and won't turn. Holding it there, put
a plier on the knob and turn CCW. That *should* remove the stopper
if memory serves.

Replacing the whole thing may turn out to be a nightmare as it
involves replacing the tub "shoe" and gaskets underneath.
If you get the stopper out, look for a rubber seal or O-ring
which is worn and allowing the water out.

Jim
Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote:

99windstar wrote:

We have a bath tub that has one of those stoppers that has 'push'
printed on it. I push it to fill the tub, push it again it pops up and
drains the tub. How one earth can I remove this stopper completely
from the tub? I need to unclog the drain plus I would rather use some
other stopper since this current stopper does not hold water in the
tub when taking a bath. It slowly lets water drain, grrr takes a very
long time to fill a soaking tub when water isn't being stopped.

IIRC, on that one the "knob"will spin freely if you try to "unscrew"
it. What you do is lift the knob up as you slowly turn it. You should
feel a point where it catches and won't turn. Holding it there, put
a plier on the knob and turn CCW. That *should* remove the stopper
if memory serves.

I probably should have said: "Put the pliers on the *stopper*",
rather than the knob. The little knob may unscrew without
doing you any good.
Jim

Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM