Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

steeda

Default High chances of popcorn ceiling containing Asbestos if built in 1973?

I am consdiering buying a 1973 built home in San Diego. I am now learning
all about asbestos and am terrified. I wanted to update the ceiling but it
looks like removal of these ceiling is VERY dangerous even professionaly. Is
there even a chance a 1973 popcorn ceiling didn't use asbestos?

D. Gerasimatos

In article loowd.39$ry.9@fed1read01, steeda wrote:

I am consdiering buying a 1973 built home in San Diego. I am now learning
all about asbestos and am terrified. I wanted to update the ceiling but it
looks like removal of these ceiling is VERY dangerous even professionaly. Is
there even a chance a 1973 popcorn ceiling didn't use asbestos?

There's a chance it did and a chance it did not. Make an offer and then
get it inspected. I fail to see what is so dangerous if a professional
removes it, but you don't really have to remove it at all if you don't
want to.

Dimitri

steeda

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article loowd.39$ry.9@fed1read01, steeda wrote:

I am consdiering buying a 1973 built home in San Diego. I am now learning
all about asbestos and am terrified. I wanted to update the ceiling but it
looks like removal of these ceiling is VERY dangerous even professionaly.
Is
there even a chance a 1973 popcorn ceiling didn't use asbestos?

There's a chance it did and a chance it did not. Make an offer and then
get it inspected. I fail to see what is so dangerous if a professional
removes it, but you don't really have to remove it at all if you don't
want to.

Dimitri

Thanks for the reply. I found out the owner scraped it off themselves in
1998, with no protection, and with no shielding on the carpet, etc.. It
tested positive for asbestos, which is why they removed it themselves since
they didn't want to pay a pro. They then reshot it with popcorn AGAIN. (
they said they like the look )

Wouldn't this make the whole house loaded with fibers everywhere
permanently?

D. Gerasimatos

In article TfGwd.788$ry.580@fed1read01, steeda wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I found out the owner scraped it off themselves in
1998, with no protection, and with no shielding on the carpet, etc.. It
tested positive for asbestos, which is why they removed it themselves since
they didn't want to pay a pro. They then reshot it with popcorn AGAIN. (
they said they like the look )

Wouldn't this make the whole house loaded with fibers everywhere
permanently?

No idea. It's unlikely, but possible, that the new ceiling has asbestos in
it as well. Why don't you call an abatement company and ask? You can get
a quote for cleanup, too, at the same time.

Dimitri

ameijers

"steeda" wrote in message news:TfGwd.788$ry.580@fed1read01...

[...]

Lordy- 30 some years later and people are still wetting their pants over
this stuff. If you were a shipyard or construction worker using
asbestos-laced gunnite, or a demolition worker stripping old pipe wrap, yeah
there was a hazard. But encapsulated wall finishing, or old floor tiles? Get
real. The exposure levels are so low as to be indistinguishable from outdoor
background levels. Sucking bus exhaust from spending time in heavy traffic,
or basement radon, is probably a bigger hazard. Most household asbestos
abatement is a ripoff. As long as it is intact, it ain't hurting anything.
And if it is damaged, just work it wet, wearing a dustmask and cleaning up
as you go. Not like it is radiactive waste or heavy metals that actually
need moon suits and containment zones. In the case of OPs prospective 1973
house- if it bothers them so much, don't buy it, or skin the ceiling with
3/8 drywall (or just paint it), change the carpet and wet-mop the subfloor,
and have the ducts cleaned. Not A Big Deal, IMNSHO.

aem sends...

Christopher Green

wrote:

[...]

You're right, but only so long as the asbestos is intact. The OP's
second post mentioned that it wasn't: the owner scraped it off himself
in 1998 and shed free asbestos fibers all over the house.

Dunno if you have popcorn ceilings in your area. A popcorn ceiling is a
sprayed-on texture thing. It's very soft and loose and prone to shed,
especially if it's applied by a do-it-yourselfer. Because of this,
asbestos in a popcorn ceiling isn't even really contained. And it can't
be painted over; it has to be scraped off and redone.

Because the degree of contamination is totally unknown (and unknowable
without professional inspection), I'd pass on the house unless it was
exceptionally desirable otherwise, or priced so low as to make proper
cleanup reasonable.

--
Chris Green

steeda

"Christopher Green" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the post Chris. We passed on it. Now we are looking at another,
where the darned owner scraped if off himself AGAIN! The difference is, this
house was built in 1979. Isn't it safe to assume the popcorn in 1979 did NOT
use asbestos?

Eric Tonks

I agree with you, --over-rated.

When I was in high school in the '50's, we were given powdered asbestos to
use for modeling. I am still alive with good lungs.

"ameijers" wrote in message

[...]

Christopher Green

Asbestos was banned for use in spray-on ceiling textures in 1973. A
1979 house that was built according to then-current codes should be OK.
--
Chris Green

Dorot29701

The kind of ceilings that contained asbestos looked different from the modern
popcorn ceilings. They had very small pebble type as opposed to the larger
looking ones today. We built a house in 1963 and it had what was probably
asbestos in it. When we got ready to sell the house we were told that there
was no problem - as long as the asbestos was encased in paint it posed no
health risk.

The house we have now was built in 1983 after asbestos was banned in ceiling
paint - it isn't very P-R-E-T-T-Y but it is safe.