ameijers

"steeda" wrote in message news:TfGwd.788$ry.580@fed1read01...

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article loowd.39$ry.9@fed1read01, steeda wrote:

I am consdiering buying a 1973 built home in San Diego. I am now

learning
all about asbestos and am terrified. I wanted to update the ceiling but

it
looks like removal of these ceiling is VERY dangerous even

professionaly.
Is
there even a chance a 1973 popcorn ceiling didn't use asbestos?

There's a chance it did and a chance it did not. Make an offer and then
get it inspected. I fail to see what is so dangerous if a professional
removes it, but you don't really have to remove it at all if you don't
want to.

Dimitri

Thanks for the reply. I found out the owner scraped it off themselves in
1998, with no protection, and with no shielding on the carpet, etc.. It
tested positive for asbestos, which is why they removed it themselves

since
they didn't want to pay a pro. They then reshot it with popcorn AGAIN. (
they said they like the look )

Wouldn't this make the whole house loaded with fibers everywhere
permanently?

Lordy- 30 some years later and people are still wetting their pants over
this stuff. If you were a shipyard or construction worker using
asbestos-laced gunnite, or a demolition worker stripping old pipe wrap, yeah
there was a hazard. But encapsulated wall finishing, or old floor tiles? Get
real. The exposure levels are so low as to be indistinguishable from outdoor
background levels. Sucking bus exhaust from spending time in heavy traffic,
or basement radon, is probably a bigger hazard. Most household asbestos
abatement is a ripoff. As long as it is intact, it ain't hurting anything.
And if it is damaged, just work it wet, wearing a dustmask and cleaning up
as you go. Not like it is radiactive waste or heavy metals that actually
need moon suits and containment zones. In the case of OPs prospective 1973
house- if it bothers them so much, don't buy it, or skin the ceiling with
3/8 drywall (or just paint it), change the carpet and wet-mop the subfloor,
and have the ducts cleaned. Not A Big Deal, IMNSHO.

aem sends...