Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John Davies

Default Mt St Helens advice wanted

I live downwind about 250 miles from the volcano. I have read warnings
form authorities about preparing your house for ashfall. While I don't
expect any large quantities, I would not be surprised to see about an
inch.

I would like to hear some first hand accounts of those who suffered
after the 1980 explosion - I was not living in the area at the time.
Here in Spokane the city had to get out the snowplows to clear the
roads. The ash was so thick the sky was black. It took less than 4 hrs
from the initial explosion to the time the ash reached the city.

Specifically, how do you get the ash off your roof and gutters? I read
that 4 inches of wet ash can collapse a roof. I don't see any way you
could walk on it.

Should I block off my downspout openings or disconnect the downspouts?
(they lead to underground drain pipes).

What steps should I take to slow ash intrusion into my house, besides
blocking air inlets and shutting all the windows?

What's it like when you have to drive - is it slippery like loose
beach sand or does it blow out from under your tires? Is poor
visibility the main hazard?

I woud appreciate any real-world advice - hypothetical drivel not
needed.

BTW: here's a very interesting fact sheet:
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/fact-sheet/fs036-00/

Thanks.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732