Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

DannyKewl

Default Wireless Doorbell problem

Hi, I installed a wireless doorbell in my house about 2 months ago. Forgot
the brand, bought at Home Depot. The back of the unit says "Desa Specialty
Products Model No. SL-6164-RX" It has two buttons, one each for two
different doors. One button works fine. I was wondering why the front door
bell never seemed to ring when people said they rang it. I tried it myself,
sometimes it would ring, some times not. If I unmounted the button part and
held it about an inch from the house, it would work. Soon as I put the
button back on the base, it was iffy again, I then tried it on the side
door, did the same, iffy, unless I hand held the button about an inch away
from the house. I tried several places to put the chime box, and that didn't
help. I have aluminum siding in the house, but the other button works fine
no matter where you put it. Too late to take the unit back now. Any tips I
can try? One button you can program what tune you want the chime to play
with jumpers, I think that's the one that works good. Thanks.

--

---

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
DannyKewl wrote:
[...]

The aluminum siding is shielding the RF signal from the buttom.

2 possibilities:

1) Mount the button in the center of the front door (assuming a wood
door),

2) Make a wood block a bit bigger than the base of the button unit that
will stand the button at least an inch off the aluminum.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67
pj

I too have aluminum siding, and had to give up on the wireless doorbells.
None of them would work; I tried several different methods. Finally gave up,
and installed a doorknocker.
-- pj