Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Missy

Default Window treatment recommendation

All,

Just purchased a new home and was hoping I could get some advice on window treatment.

The home is in Douglasville, GA

The house has the master-on-the-main and has a nice view of the wooded back yard which I would like to appreciate.

I was thinking of going with white 2 1/2 inch wood blinds throughout the entire house. (There are 33 windows including the garage).

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea? Are there better ideas that I haven't considered? Do people generally put the same window treatment on all the windows in a home? I will be putting up curtains (at a later date in the "far" future). Any recommendations on a good quality, good value company to do business with?

Any suggestions, thoughts are appreciated?
Missy

--
"If the grass if greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher"

Missy wrote:

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea? Are there better ideas

that I haven't considered? Do people generally put the same window
treatment on all the windows in a home?

My suggestion is not to rush this major purchase. I understand you want
something up on the windows fast, but it helps to give yourself some
time in the house before deciding so you don't make a costly mistake.

In the interim, go to Home Depot and look for their temporary blinds.
These are very inexpensive - something like $2.50-$5.00 each. They're
made out of accordian-folded paper with a sticky adhesive strip at the
top. Sort of like a giant post-it-note. Obviously not a permanent
solution, but they hold up surprisingly well and don't look too tacky.
Put these up on those windows that need privacy. We lived with these
for a month or two and I actually liked the look a lot. :-)

I personally like the look of the same window treatment (shade/blinds)
used throughout a house, with different curtains in each room. When I
bought my house, I chose pleated shades because I like the way they
look. I think it is highly personal, however, I had lived in a place
with blinds and they drove me crazy because they always had to be
dusted. Shades are easier. YMMV.

The one regret I have, and might've avoided had I been a little more
patient, is the bedroom shades are not blackout shades. Our bedroom
faces the rising sun. We've therefore put up dark blinds to block out
the light. But I don't like the dark blinds and would prefer sheers
with a dark paint on the bedroom walls. So I am now debating about
ditching these and replacing them with a black-out shade. I am taking
my time. I see some that are like a blind, but with a gauzy fabric over
them. I like this idea because it looks like my other shades, will
protect the blinds from getting dusty, will block out light at night
and in the morning, yet allow light in during the day. They are very
expensive, but if it means we can sleep better, they're worth it.

Incidentally I bought my shades at Home Depot after shopping around.
They were a good deal as long as you don't mind having only two colors
to choose from.

jen