Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

KOS

Default Help with older bathtub- want to paint-

Hi, I have an old bathtub that is over 35 years old. The shape is very
unique, unlike the traditional tub shapes of today. Must have been
common yesteryear. Anyways, I want to keep the bathtub but want to
change the color. It is now a pink color. Is this a difficult process?
How long does the coat usually last? Are there professional companies
that do this? I would rather have a professional do this.. If anyone
has been in the same situation and has had their bathtub painted,
please share your thoughts. Any information you can provide is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
KOS
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
KOS wrote:

Hi, I have an old bathtub that is over 35 years old. The shape is very
unique, unlike the traditional tub shapes of today. Must have been
common yesteryear. Anyways, I want to keep the bathtub but want to
change the color. It is now a pink color. Is this a difficult process?
How long does the coat usually last? Are there professional companies
that do this? I would rather have a professional do this.. If anyone
has been in the same situation and has had their bathtub painted,
please share your thoughts. Any information you can provide is greatly
appreciated.

Yes, have a professional do it. The coating will last about 5 years with
regular use - less with heavy use or if you clean it with the wrong
cleaners. It is not very expensive to have done, but you will end up
having to do it every few years. I am assuming this is a porcelain
bathtub, BTW.

Dimitri

Bill Seurer

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

In article ,
KOS wrote:

[...]

My parents did this with their tub and were not very satisfied. The
coating starting coming off almost right away from near the drain.
Check what the warranty is before you go this route.
--

-Bill
steve

We had a tub reglazed to 'spruce it up' when preparing our old house for
sale. The process involved an acid wash of the tub followed by the
application of a VERY NASTY smelling paint.

The Nasty smell lasted several days and had to be toxic as hell so
consider that you are going to want to seal off the room the tub is in
and ventilate it for a few days (unless you can move the tub).

The end result was a new looking tub. The previous owner did the same
thing before we bought the place, and it lasted about 10 years. It might
have lasted longer except that we didn't know it had been re-glazed and
used the wrong cleanser when cleaning the tub.

On the other hand, if the tub is that old have you considered that it
might be more valuable left in its present state?

Steve

KOS wrote:

Hi, I have an old bathtub that is over 35 years old. The shape is very
unique, unlike the traditional tub shapes of today. Must have been
common yesteryear. Anyways, I want to keep the bathtub but want to
change the color. It is now a pink color. Is this a difficult process?
How long does the coat usually last? Are there professional companies
that do this? I would rather have a professional do this.. If anyone
has been in the same situation and has had their bathtub painted,
please share your thoughts. Any information you can provide is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
KOS

Al Bundy

KOS wrote:

Hi, I have an old bathtub that is over 35 years old. The shape is very
unique, unlike the traditional tub shapes of today. Must have been
common yesteryear. Anyways, I want to keep the bathtub but want to
change the color. It is now a pink color. Is this a difficult process?
How long does the coat usually last? Are there professional companies
that do this? I would rather have a professional do this.. If anyone
has been in the same situation and has had their bathtub painted,
please share your thoughts. Any information you can provide is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
KOS

I don't think you will be happy with the painting although you sound
like a person that would take the best care of it. I suggest you go
one step better and have a bath tub liner made. They come out and take
a mold. In a couple weeks or so they come back and install it. It
involves less mess and smell. And it will last a very long time. In my
area the cost is only slightly more than so called reglazing.

KOS

KOS wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with the tub liner route.
The reason I am doing this is because I am trying to update the
bathroom and it would be easier if I can change the tub to an
off-white color. With this liner suggestion,- that involves a process
so that the color of the tub, now pink, is completely covered? Is this
a costly procedure? Also, whats the best way to find companies that do
this? Word of mouth I suppose..Thanks
Al Bundy

KOS wrote:

[...]

With a new tub liner you will think you have a new tub. You can pick
the color. This is what major hotels often do rather than replace the
fixture. In my area a reglazing would cost about $350 and a tub liner
closer to $500. That sounds like a lot, but saves renovation that
costs much more. And the convenience of having it done is worth
something.