Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Joe

Default * Moving & Storage options? *

We are moving to an area about 1000 miles away and are having trouble deciding
about the transport/storage issues.

We are buying a furnished condo that had been used for vacation rental, and will
be again after we find a house to purchase. The condo furniture is fine and we
don't want to remove and replace it with our current furniture, only to replace
it back again in 6 months or so when we buy a house.

Of course there are a few furniture items we will move into the condo, but we
need some suggestions on storage for the rest. We currently have a 3 bedroom
house, not a lot of clutter but a sizable load.

Has anyone used PODS?
Their fee would be about $2500 for a 16' container and the transport mileage.
After that the storage is $182 per month. Yikes!

Anyone used a mover and then stored locally at the new destination?

I'm almost to the point of selling everything and travelling light.

Any suggestions????
Randy

Joe wrote:
[...]

I've moved three times in the past six years, two of which were 1000 miles or more.

I would move all my stuff into storage at the destination, probably letting the
movers pack and move directly into storage. My reasons:

- Let the movers pack for transport. If you let a local mover pack and store at
the origin, then when you go to transport later, the pack job will be more
likely to be done incompletely and you're more likely to suffer damage during
the transport.

- The original movers will have legal responsibility for moving what they have
packed.

- Your stuff will be with you at the destination, where you can get to it.

- When your stuff arrives to go into storage at the destination, you can pull
out those things you know you'll need right away. This way, you won't have to
move the essential stuff separately from the main move.

- You can also pack the storage bin so that you can get access to what you think
you'll need before the final move. It's nice to have your seasonal stuff near
the door in case the seasons change before you can unload.

I've never tried using a pod. I've stored a 3-4 bedroom home each time, in a
500 sq ft space, at about $300/month.

BTW, my packing and moving cost was $8000 from Ann Arbor MI to Houston TX. I
used Mayflower, which is the best mover I know.

Randy
Carol T

Joe wrote in
:

[...]

This may not be feasible, but we are in the ending stages of a long move
from NY to TX and this is what has worked for us. We knew we would need
to store our furnishings for 2-3 months so instead of paying someone
else to store it, we purchased two 20ft shipping containers. That
allowed us to take our time packing them carefully and, though this may
not work for you, have them moved to a place (in this case, a family
member's farm) that they can be for the time needed. I would think
there would be places that would rent space to you to store the
containers. After we are finally in our home, the container's will be
used as a shed of sorts. I understand that this only works for us
because we will have land, but you could easily sell the container for
pretty much the same price you paid for it. We are giving one to our
BIL for use of the farm but its amazing how many people have asked where
we got them and if we'd be interested in selling them.

Moving the containers took a big of logistics, but what we did was
schedule a crane and a flatbed semi to come and pick them up in NY and
then another crane to off-load it at the farm in TX. The containers
were $1400 each after delivery to our house, the flatbed to drive them
was $2200 and the crane rentals were $800. If we were to sell the
containers instead of keeping them the cost to move our 3000 sq ft house
from NY to TX...$3000.

The idea came to us after seeing one of those PODS commercials and
callimg them to see how much...shocking! You'd want to pack everything
carefully as things do jostle around in the containers. We wrapped and
double wrapped furniture and then shrink wrapped it too.

Now, we just have to tough it out 9 more days until the closing on our
house!

Carol T
Joe

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:11:38 GMT, Carol T wrote:

Joe wrote in
:

[...]

Yikes! Too much work and money for me.

I had thought about buying a used 24 foot straight truck with a box on it. Use
it for the move and then park it some where like one of those lots that charges
rent to park RV's on. (and hope the roof doesn't leak) Then move the truck to
the house we buy and unload. Then sell the truck.

Any other ideas folks?
ClaudCar

IMNBHO, that would by far be the BEST idea. Altho, I cannot recommend
highly enough that you have a professional mover on your end box and pack
the truck. They can get more stuff into small spaces than anyone else I
know. My preference is Wheaton, have used 3 of their agents for different
moves.

--
______________________
Claudia
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Haynes

You could use one of the U-Pack moving systems (www.upack.com) where the
truck line brings you a trailer, you pack it, they haul it, you unload it,
they haul it away. You could unload into a rented storage unit at the
destination.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Mark

Load it all into a Budget or Penske rental truck, drive to location, empty into
a storage room that you rent by the month. Move it out later when you're ready.
Brikp

I used PODS for a move and 2 months storage. The move was local. It cost
about two hundred something per container, we used two 8x8x16 containers.
Cost was less than a moving company/storage or storage/u-haul rental. Just
renting storage would have been cheapest, not by much, and a huge pain in
the butt to move everything twice in a suburban and pickup truck. If we
rented a u-haul to move to storage it would have been a big pain too because
of the double move. BTW - PODS referred us to "Moving Staffers" through whom
we hired 2 professional movers to help us unload. They were great and helped
us get unloaded in one morning. I would consider them again. If I had the
$$$ I would have used somone like Mayflower to pack, store and unload.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Pre-made melamine storage cabinets of various colors? Dolchas Home Repair 1 May 28th 04 06:10 PM
wood storage dilemma Allen Epps Woodworking 24 May 15th 04 01:04 AM
Strategies for dealing with stuff/supply/material collections? GTO69RA4 Metalworking 8 April 3rd 04 04:38 PM
Moving Costs. Mike Home Ownership 2 April 3rd 04 03:54 AM
storage problem Dave Mitton Home Repair 3 July 20th 03 11:41 AM