Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

blurp

Default how to 220V-->120V?

Hello,

I am european moving to the US soon. I am wondering if I can bring
over my blow drier (220V-1000W) and buy a transformer to use in the
US. I already have a transformer that I have used in the US but I
think it will not handle the 1000W (I was using it for an electrical
hair remover for legs). How much would a transformer like that cost?
sPh

I am european moving to the US soon. I am wondering if I can bring
over my blow drier (220V-1000W) and buy a transformer to use in the
US. I already have a transformer that I have used in the US but I
think it will not handle the 1000W (I was using it for an electrical
hair remover for legs). How much would a transformer like that cost?

You can find such transformers - but keep in mind that it is always
easier to find converters for a foreign country in YOUR country (think
about it for a minute - there isn't too much demand for France-to-US
converters in the US, but there is such a demand in France [I learned
this the hard way after having to ask my host to drive me all the way
back to the Syndey airport as that was the only place in town to get a
US-to-Australia converter]). In the US the Radio Shack catalog has a
wide selection of converters (although they are not always in stock at
the stores, so you might have to order in advance).

However, for such a high wattage application I would suggest just buying
a new one at Wal-Mart when you arrive in the US. I think most hair
dryers here go for around $8 US; $20 US for a fancy one.

sPh
Minnie Bannister

Almost certainly cheaper to buy a new blow drier in the US than to buy a
transformer capable of running it.

MB

On 08/27/04 04:54 am blurp put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I am european moving to the US soon. I am wondering if I can bring
over my blow drier (220V-1000W) and buy a transformer to use in the
US. I already have a transformer that I have used in the US but I
think it will not handle the 1000W (I was using it for an electrical
hair remover for legs). How much would a transformer like that cost?

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
blurp wrote:

I am european moving to the US soon. I am wondering if I can bring
over my blow drier (220V-1000W) and buy a transformer to use in the
US. I already have a transformer that I have used in the US but I
think it will not handle the 1000W (I was using it for an electrical
hair remover for legs). How much would a transformer like that cost?

As others have said, a new blow dryer would probably be cheaper than a
transformer, but another possibly if you are handy and capable of doing
electrical wireing, you could probably add a 220 outlet where you want
to use the dryer. If you can't do it yourself, hireing an electrician
would likely bring the costs to well over the cost of a new blow dryer.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

sPh

However, for such a high wattage application I would suggest just buying
a new one at Wal-Mart when you arrive in the US. I think most hair
dryers here go for around $8 US; $20 US for a fancy one.

A point I forgot: hair dryers sold today have a ground fault
interrupter built in to the cord. I don't know if that will work if
the unit is isolated by a transformer.

sPh