Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

lucy

Default Roof turbans

This is a serious question, but what do the turban looking things on the top
of a house actually do? Do they let air into the attic, or keep the attic
cooler or what exactly?
(Yes, I'm seriously needing to know)
Thanks,
lucy

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
lucy wrote:

This is a serious question, but what do the turban looking things on the top
of a house actually do? Do they let air into the attic, or keep the attic
cooler or what exactly?
(Yes, I'm seriously needing to know)

They allow hot air to rise out of the attic and keep it cooler.

Dimitri

TURTLE

"lucy" wrote in message
m...
This is a serious question, but what do the turban looking things on the top
of a house actually do? Do they let air into the attic, or keep the attic
cooler or what exactly?
(Yes, I'm seriously needing to know)
Thanks,
lucy

This is Turtle.

Yes Roof air turbines are very good to have in warm or hot weather for they let
the hot air out the turbine from the attic area during hot weather. To your
question here. The let the hot air out of the attic and don't let it in. Cooler
air comes in the eves of the house in the attic area and then lets the hot air
rize and go out the turbine to cool the attic. Now during the winter or cold
weather they have very little use.

Now they are worth having if your weather temperature of the summer goes over
80ºF and your house is in the direct sun lite during the day.

Yes, have them replaced with the new roof your having put on and I suggest new
ones instead of leaving the old one on there. Did this help ?

TURTLE

---

lucy

Turtle,
Yes, it did help a lot. And please forgive me that I don't know the correct
terminology, but there are 'vents' on what I think is the eave. (Underside
of area that sticks out from roof). The holes on the vent are kind of big
(enough for a bug to get in) about big enough to fit your finger into. I'm
wondering if I need to cover them, or if they are necessary? Or should I put
some type of screen material inside them to keep bugs out? What do people
normally do? We don't have bugs in the attic that I know of.. maybe I'm just
a worry wart?
I appreciate any advice/help.
Thanks,
lucy

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"lucy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Brikp

Don't block them up, they allow the air to move through the attic to the
turbines as Turtle disclosed. if you have bug issues you can put a screen
over them. I would do this from the attic side, it will look better. make
sure insulation is not impeding airflow too.
-B

"lucy" wrote in message
m...
Turtle,
Yes, it did help a lot. And please forgive me that I don't know the

correct
terminology, but there are 'vents' on what I think is the eave. (Underside
of area that sticks out from roof). The holes on the vent are kind of big
(enough for a bug to get in) about big enough to fit your finger into. I'm
wondering if I need to cover them, or if they are necessary? Or should I

put
some type of screen material inside them to keep bugs out? What do people
normally do? We don't have bugs in the attic that I know of.. maybe I'm

just
a worry wart?
I appreciate any advice/help.
Thanks,
lucy

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"lucy" wrote in message
m...
[...]

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:
(TURTLE) wrote in
:

Now during the winter or cold weather they have very little use.

Oh! Not so!

Keeping the surface of the roof cold in winter is essential for
preventing accumulated snow from melting and forming ice dams at the
eaves.

What's snow?

Dimitri

TURTLE

"lucy" wrote in message
m...
Turtle,
Yes, it did help a lot. And please forgive me that I don't know the correct
terminology, but there are 'vents' on what I think is the eave. (Underside
of area that sticks out from roof). The holes on the vent are kind of big
(enough for a bug to get in) about big enough to fit your finger into. I'm
wondering if I need to cover them, or if they are necessary? Or should I put
some type of screen material inside them to keep bugs out? What do people
normally do? We don't have bugs in the attic that I know of.. maybe I'm just
a worry wart?
I appreciate any advice/help.
Thanks,
lucy

This is Turtle.

Do cover the holes under the eves of the roof area with the proper covers bought
at any hardware store. They will cover the hole up to not let bugs get in and
will still let air flow through them. These covers call eve vent covers and run
about $.98 to $1.50 each. Replace all of them and let the attic venting system
work.

TURTLE

---

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:55:12 GMT, someone wrote:

I guess they DO look kind of like "turbans". Though as you know by
now, they are turbines.

None

Interesting discussion...

They work quite well (supposedly developed for ventilating chicken houses in
Rhode Island many years ago).

Winter or summer, they key is ventilation to prevent misture buildup that
causes big problems, long term.

I would let the units work year round.

For what it is worth...

PJ

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM