Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

jeff

Default Moving in October...okay to get estimates now or better to wait?

I'm moving locally (only about 5 minutes away) in October and was told by a
person who works for my broker's agency that I should wait until after labor
day to get estimates from moving companies. She seems to think the
estimates might be lower if I were to wait, since we're currently in the
busy season. I don't see why the estimates would be lower if I were to
wait, since when giving the estimate they'll know full well the move is in
October. Also, my understanding is that, for local movers, the moving
company is paid hourly (and I'm not sure I really believe the hourly rates
change based on what time of year it is.)

Since the local movers get paid hourly, the purpose of the estimate is to
get an idea how many hours my move is going to take, and what it will
generally cost me. Is there really going to be any benefit to waiting ''til
after labor day to get the estimates vs. getting them now?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

J.

Chris Hill

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:29:08 GMT, "jeff"
wrote:

[...]

This shouldn't be a major deal. I'd just wait and check to see if you
have any "two men and a truck" type places, you'll get a good deal,
especially if you can do the small stuff yourself.