Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Glen A Stromquist

Default flooring questions / limestone tiles

We are looking at replacing all of our lino in the near future. After 2
bad experiences with Domco Lino we are leaning towards other
alternatives for replacing our current flooring. The area we are doing
is kitchen, bathroom. laundry room, entranceway and family room, so it
gets a lot of traffic.

We were thinking about laminate/hardwood, but because of the possibility
of water spillage etc. decided that perhaps ceramic tiles would be the
best long term solution, albeit an expensive one. We have also heard
that these floors can be quite "cold" and hard on the back as it is akin
to walking on concrete. The local flooring place showed us another
alternative, tiles made from (compressed?)limestone that look very much
like ceramic, but are supposed to be "warmer" and also a somewhat softer
texture. They are also a small fraction of the thickness of ceramic tiles.

I am a tad nervous however, in that this seems like a relatively new
product (according to the salesperson), and they are quite thin in
comparison to the ceramic, and comparable in price. The particular
product we are looking at is called DuraCeramic by Congoleum.
Installation is similar as each tile is individually glued, but it can
be installed with traditional grouting between tiles or tightly fitted
without grouting.

I am hoping to hear from someone with more knowledge on this product, ie
is it durable, should we install with grout between tiles or not etc...

thanks in advance!

Charles Spitzer

"Glen A Stromquist" wrote in message
[...]

limestone is soft, and if unsealed (or has worn sealing) will absorb stains
which will be almost impossible to get out. i'd put it on walls, but not
floors, imho. ask to see some 5-10 year old floors before making a decision.

Glen A Stromquist

Charles Spitzer wrote:
[...]

Well, they seem *very* tough in that regard, and do have a 25 year
warranty against fading etc.. , but I'm extremly skeptical of such
warranties as my Domco floor had one as well but when my 5 yr old
perimeter-glued floor shrunk up to 5" from the walls and seams they
called it "poor installation" and washed their hands of it. Buyer beware
I guess!
Charles Spitzer

Charles Spitzer wrote:
[...]

buy 1 tile. take it home, put it on a carpet, and walk on it with lots of
types of shoes. see if it'll get marked, and if so, how easily it cleans.
rub some sand paper on it to simulate walking on some grit to see if it will
wear.

try to scratch it with knives. put some red wine and lemon juice on it for a
few hours. see if it'll stain, discolor, or acid etch in any way.

again, i'd ask to see some installed samples, especially in high traffic
places.

most stone/ceramic won't fade. some will, like purple amethyst, but i doubt
they make floors out of that.