Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Paul

Default Common vs Ground - Kiln

I have a kiln that requires 220v 25a
The plug has 3 prongs. The centre prong is a ground.
I have a receptacle I have wired with 10/2 (Red, Black and Bare).

My question is what do I do in the panel?
The Red and Black are obvious.

But does the bare copper go to the ground bar, or to the common (white) bar?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Seurer

Paul wrote:
But does the bare copper go to the ground bar, or to the common (white) bar?

Get a book on wiring and read it.

David W.

Bill Seurer Bill_AT_seurer.net wrote in
:

Paul wrote:
But does the bare copper go to the ground bar, or to the common
(white) bar?

Get a book on wiring and read it.

Or get a yellow pages listing for electricians and read that :-)
Bill Seurer

David W. wrote:
Bill Seurer Bill_AT_seurer.net wrote in
:
Get a book on wiring and read it.

Or get a yellow pages listing for electricians and read that :-)

Or both. Read first though so you can talk to the electrician.

John W. Wells

On 11 Aug 2003 19:08:53 -0700, (Paul) wrote:

I have a kiln that requires 220v 25a
The plug has 3 prongs. The centre prong is a ground.
I have a receptacle I have wired with 10/2 (Red, Black and Bare).

My question is what do I do in the panel?
The Red and Black are obvious.

But does the bare copper go to the ground bar, or to the common (white) bar?

Thanks for your help.

I'm guessing this is a used kiln and that you do not have the
manufacturer's manual, right? You really ought to get it! Most
manufacturers have web sites and manuals for download.

It is always possible that a previous owner used the WRONG plug and
that your just installing a matching plug could lead to trouble.

Since things can go wrong in many ways with kilns, you really ought to
consider hard-wiring the kiln (plug/receptacle's wear, corrode, heat
up and may cause fires). And have a disconnect switch close to the
kiln, but located so the out-of-control kiln is not between the switch
and an escape route.

There is also the danger of toxic fumes from a kiln, even an electric
one.

If all this sounds needlessly cautious (and even if it doesn't), you
ought to subscribe to the Clayart email List. There are some 3000
members world-wide (several fellow Canucks!), including many expert
potters.

It's free and a most valuable resource for potters of any skill level:

http://www.ceramics.org/clayart/

You won't see me there, cuz my real name is not...

--John Wellington Wells :-)

Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK? greywolf42 Electronics Repair 82 July 13th 04 11:37 AM
2- vs. 3-prong outlets Suzie-Q Home Repair 30 April 19th 04 06:55 PM
Question To you HVAC folks Gunner Metalworking 23 January 12th 04 12:15 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
Two electrical questions, please Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 13 December 28th 03 08:32 PM