Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dern

Default Concrete slab DWV reroute...

I'm about to do a gut job on my master bathroom. It's a good sized
room but really needs an upgrade. I have a lot of ideas but almost
all of them would require rerouting the plumbing. I have a concrete
slab with all the DWV pipes buried in the foundation. I can handle
redirecting the supply lines, but I'm a little leery about hammering
open my slab to run new PVC. I would like to ask for any advice on
the practicality of such an adventure. I am mechanically very
competent and have done almost all of my home and auto repairs. I can
get hold of a jackhammer and I know how to work with concrete, is
there anything else I should know? Yes, I do intend to get all the
necessary permits and will keep it legal. Any advice will be much
appreciated...thanks.
Speedy Jim

Dern wrote:

I'm about to do a gut job on my master bathroom. It's a good sized
room but really needs an upgrade. I have a lot of ideas but almost
all of them would require rerouting the plumbing. I have a concrete
slab with all the DWV pipes buried in the foundation. I can handle
redirecting the supply lines, but I'm a little leery about hammering
open my slab to run new PVC. I would like to ask for any advice on
the practicality of such an adventure. I am mechanically very
competent and have done almost all of my home and auto repairs. I can
get hold of a jackhammer and I know how to work with concrete, is
there anything else I should know? Yes, I do intend to get all the
necessary permits and will keep it legal. Any advice will be much
appreciated...thanks.

Are the supply lines (or any heating lines) buried in the slab?
If so, you may be risking damage to them.
Not *all* the DWV is in the slab; the vents are in the walls.
That will require some delicate planning.
Start by making a tentative map of what piping you can find.
Jim

For some more opinions, post he
alt.home.repair