Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Warren X

Default Buying a much bigger house

Good day,

A friend and I had the following debate when I said that I would one
day like to buy an $800K house, upgrading from my current $200K
condominium apartment, and I would like to hear more opinions on the
matter.

I said that we planned to stay in the condo as long as possible,
putting extra money down on the mortgage.

My friend said that we should move to an intermediate house of, say,
$400K, as it would provide more "financial leverage" that would be
required for the big house.

I argued that selling a home costs a lot of money in real-estate agent
commissions, legal fees, moving fees, renovation costs, etc.

He argued that the value of the houses increases at a rate that more
than compensates for these charges.

This is a possibility, but the market is at a high right now (area:
Toronto, Canada), and could conceivably "correct" in the next few
years once the glut of new homes are bought-up.

I also mentioned that a larger (intermediate) house begets larger P&I
payments, and larger interest payments mean a greater waste of money
that could otherwise have gone towards principal on my current
mortgage.

He then mentioned that the increase in value of property is
proportional to the size of the property (i.e., greater absolute
capital gain on a larger property than on a smaller one), to which I
must agree.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this?

Thanks
A. Huahua