Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jimmy

Default relocating and getting approved for a mortgage

Hello,

Our credit is good. Our income is stable. However, how tough is it to
get approved on a mortgage that's just below a Jumbo amount when one
of us hasn't secured a job at the new location?

Thanks in advance for your help...
John R Weiss

"Jimmy" wrote...

Our credit is good. Our income is stable. However, how tough is it to
get approved on a mortgage that's just below a Jumbo amount when one
of us hasn't secured a job at the new location?

You can find out by attempting to pre-qualify with a bank, credit union, or
mortgage company based on the single income. They will tell you what is the max
loan and/or payment they will allow.

It's not a good idea to base a mortgage payment on both incomes, anyhow...

rosie readandpost

However, how tough is it to
get approved on a mortgage that's just below a Jumbo amount when one
of us hasn't secured a job at the new location?

whoops, did you mention JUMBO?
careful, you'll be accused of being a rich snob!

Jimmy

"rosie readandpost" wrote in message ...
However, how tough is it to
get approved on a mortgage that's just below a Jumbo amount when one
of us hasn't secured a job at the new location?

whoops, did you mention JUMBO?
careful, you'll be accused of being a rich snob!

Sorry - didn't mean to come off that way. We're only putting 5% down,
and the current real estate market has many of the homes near that
price range.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
WayDownSouth

"Jimmy" wrote:

Hello,

Our credit is good. Our income is stable. However, how tough is it to
get approved on a mortgage that's just below a Jumbo amount when one
of us hasn't secured a job at the new location?

Thanks in advance for your help...

If your credit is good (FICO above 670 -- other banks may have different
requirements) and you can provide a healthy down payment (30% or more), you
might be able to do a no-documentation or low-doc mortgage. You will,
however, pay somewhat more in interest. I obtained a low-doc mortgage at
below 6% interest and had to provide very little paperwor (e.g. no proof of
income).

You'll want to shop around. Some banks want much more paper work for
low-doc loans than others. Also, some banks will absolutely gouge you on
the interest rates for low or no-doc loans. I received a quote from a major
bank that was nearly 7.5%