Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Daniel Vance

Default DR HORTON of Portland

I'm looking at homes in Bend, OR. This subdivision caught my eye
(Link below). It's everything we want. After hearing how big they
are, I did some searching on the Internet. It appears that they have
a pretty bad name. The deal is, they are huge. Someone that large is
bound to have some bad press. Plus, they use different subs in every
area. So, I'm curious if anyone has heard about this development or
has any info on DR Horton of Portland. It's hard for me to say, "Dan,
you shouldn't by a house from them because a bunch of people in Texas
hate them. Or that some people in Oregon have filed claims with the
BBB" I had a friend(builder) walk through the houses they were
building and everything seems to look okay. Except for the fact that
they are using 2x12's instead of I-joists...Seems cheap to me.

I don't want to make a big mistake, but it's what we want, and I don't
plan on living there more than a few years (I've only stayed in each
house for less than a year). I keep reading horror stories about
people who purchase homes from builders who rake them over the coals
and basically cost them their entire investment.

http://www.drhortoninc-portland.com/rcdhi/rcindex.htm

Thanks for any info.
Daniel
Ron Peterson

(Daniel Vance) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I own a few shares of DHI, but haven't seen any of their houses. Large
builders are
taking over the market because of the difficulty of getting lots and
some economies
of scale.

Unless your lucky, it is expensive to buy a new house every year or
two. Think about
renting instead.

Pre-fabs are the least expensive way to go, but if you are concerned
about using
2x12's instead of I-joists, you probably want a stick built house.

--
Ron