Tony Bryer

Default Portland Conservatories

In article , Guy
wrote:
Portland Conservatories (based in Manchester)looks good, if a
little pricey, does anyone have any comments (either good or bad)
about this company?

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ and click on the
Conservatories link under Highlights of the Week (bottom of right
hand column - don't know how long it will stay there). Nothing
specific IIRC about any particular company but some good background
on the marketing.

Tony Bryer

In article , Meoww
wrote:
2. A transaction
is usually made between two consenting adults. Adults being
the operative word.

No, *three*. SOP is that you do not even think about going out to
the house unless both members of the couple (unless it's a single
person household) will be there. If they're not one will say "I
can't sign anything until I've discussed it with my husband/wife"
and you're lost. According to the Y&Y clip a good technique is to
get yourself seated between husband and wife so they can't make eye
contact.

I drew plans for a conservatory company for a while - the salesman
got 10%, I got about 1%. One of their techniques was to write an
oversized 'cheque' to the customer 'valid today only' for £500 or
£1000 and put it on their coffee table as a way of inducing them to
make their minds up. I used the same trick to reverse effect when
buying my latest car: when I got my cheque book out on the desk in
front of the salesman suddenly a much better offer was forthcoming