Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Whitewash, pickling, or antique wax effect for kitchen cupboards?

I've noticed that some of the new kitchen cupboards are coming in a
semi transparent finishes, withm a darker wood grain showing through.
I'd like to duplicate the look in white, as a DIY project. What's the
best method for a good first time attempt? Minwax makes a whitewash
pickling product, is there any other manufactures making a simular
product? How about using antique wax? Is there a web site that gives
clear instructions on how to create the look I'm after?

Thanks,

Steve
BKS

I used the Minwax stuff on tongue and groove siding for a real country
rustic look on a porch ceiling. It worked well, but if you're using wood
with knots the nots burn through very quickly (there are many ways to
prevent that, shellac first, etc.), which isn't bad cause it's part of the
look I wanted.

On hard woods, I bet it would look even better.

I simply poly'd over it after two coats.

om...