Default Whitewash, pickling, or antique wax effect for kitchen cupboards?

I've noticed that some of the new kitchen cupboards are coming in a
semi transparent finishes, withm a darker wood grain showing through.
I'd like to duplicate the look in white, as a DIY project. What's the
best method for a good first time attempt? Minwax makes a whitewash
pickling product, is there any other manufactures making a simular
product? How about using antique wax? Is there a web site that gives
clear instructions on how to create the look I'm after?

Thanks,

Steve