Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Put lathe screws in the dimples of self-furring lathe?

Doing a stucco repair and using Home Depot self-furring lathe. It's my
understanding that ideally the lathe should be in the middle of the
stucco. It seems logical to me that the screws should go in the
dimples to leave the area between the dimples raised, which would seem
to be the whole reason for the dimples.

Any reason why you think this is a bad idea?

Also, how frequently do the screws need to go in? Should ever other
dimple across be enough? I'm attaching the lathe to 3/4" plywood.

Thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 12, 1:33*am, Doc wrote:
Doing a stucco repair and using Home Depot self-furring lathe. It's my
understanding that ideally the lathe should be in the middle of the
stucco. It seems logical to me that the screws should go in the
dimples to leave the area between the dimples raised, which would seem
to be the whole reason for the dimples.

Any reason why you think this is a bad idea?

Also, how frequently do the screws need to go in? Should ever other
dimple across be enough? I'm attaching the lathe to 3/4" plywood.

Thanks.

No-one can answer this.
Go to the manufacturers website and they will have all this info.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 11, 5:33*pm, Doc wrote:
Doing a stucco repair and using Home Depot self-furring lathe. It's my
understanding that ideally the lathe should be in the middle of the
stucco. It seems logical to me that the screws should go in the
dimples to leave the area between the dimples raised, which would seem
to be the whole reason for the dimples.

Any reason why you think this is a bad idea?

Also, how frequently do the screws need to go in? Should ever other
dimple across be enough? I'm attaching the lathe to 3/4" plywood.

Thanks.

Self-furring lathe is a crappy product designed for speed not for
quality.

Typically fastener schedule is 6" o/c along studs that are at 16" or
24".
Over plywood schedule is allowed to be the same.

What is the dimple spacing on the prodcut you have?

6" x 16" gives you one fastener per 96 sq inches.
Apply fasteners to dimples at a rate that give you similar density.

I would suggest using non-self-furring lath and using furring nails.
You'll wind up with the lath fully embedded in the stucco rather than
a situation where the lath runs in & out of the stucco.
KInda like having rebar in the concrete & then in the dirt.

cheers
Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

On May 12, 3:23*am, DD_BobK wrote:

What is the dimple spacing on the prodcut you have?

Every 5" within each horizontal row, the rows are 5.5" apart and
offset.

Approx like this where each asterisk is a dimple.

*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:00*am, Doc wrote:
On May 12, 3:23*am, DD_BobK wrote:

What is the dimple spacing on the prodcut you have?

Every 5" within each horizontal row, the rows are 5.5" apart and
offset.

Approx like this where each asterisk is a dimple.

*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*

Hmmm... if the spacing is 5.5" x 5", I wonder how it can work with
studs at 16" or 24"?

Your idea of using every other dimple would give you one fastener per
100 sq inches... good enough.

Every dimple would give you 4x as many fastener .... way more than you
need.

cheers
Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

On May 12, 12:10*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

Approx like this where each asterisk is a dimple.

*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*

Hmmm... if the spacing is 5.5" x 5", I wonder how it can work with
studs at 16" or 24"?

The idea of securing at the dimples is my idea, I think many people
don't do it that way. I haven't seen any YouTube videos of people
doing it that way - they just nail/screw/staple wherever. But screwing
into the dimples makes sense to me since it leaves as much of the
lathe raised up as possible.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 12, 2:05*pm, Doc wrote:
On May 12, 12:10*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

Approx like this where each asterisk is a dimple.

*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*
___*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*__
*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*_____*

Hmmm... if the spacing is 5.5" x 5", I wonder how it can work with
studs at 16" or 24"?

The idea of securing at the dimples is my idea, I think many people
don't do it that way. I haven't seen any YouTube videos of people
doing it that way - they just nail/screw/staple wherever. But screwing
into the dimples makes sense to me since it leaves as much of the
lathe raised up as possible.

That's what the dimples are for...... you're technique is the correct
one.

I haven't seen any YouTube videos of people doing it that way - they just nail/screw/staple wherever.

that's because most people using this self-furring lath are not privy
to the thinking that went into its design.
IME most self-furring lath (esp the pre-papered stuff) is installed
incorrectly but that's the typical result because the typical
installer isn't trained, doesn't understand the concept & is in a real
hurry.

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
that's because most people using this self-furring lath are not privy
to the thinking that went into its design.
IME most self-furring lath (esp the pre-papered stuff) is installed
incorrectly but that's the typical result because the typical
installer isn't trained, doesn't understand the concept & is in a real
hurry.

Finally! Someone used the correct word. Cood work!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:13*am, "Bob F" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
that's because most people using this self-furring lath are not privy
to the thinking that went into its design.
IME most *self-furring lath *(esp the pre-papered stuff) is installed
incorrectly but that's the typical result because the typical
installer isn't trained, doesn't understand the concept & is in a real
hurry.

Finally! Someone used the correct word. Cood work!

Bob F-

What word?

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
On May 13, 8:13 am, "Bob F" wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
that's because most people using this self-furring lath are not
privy to the thinking that went into its design.
IME most self-furring lath (esp the pre-papered stuff) is installed
incorrectly but that's the typical result because the typical
installer isn't trained, doesn't understand the concept & is in a
real hurry.

Finally! Someone used the correct word. Cood work!

Bob F-

What word?

Lath. Lathes are just to hard to nail to the wall.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

On May 13, 1:55*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Lath. Lathes are just to hard to nail to the wall.

Dunno, I was going with how it was spelled on the sign at Home Depot.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:
On May 13, 1:55 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Lath. Lathes are just to hard to nail to the wall.

Dunno, I was going with how it was spelled on the sign at Home Depot.

LOL! I believe it.