Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Why is older dishwasher not washing well?

On Feb 7, 3:02*am, Just Wondering wrote:
On 2/5/2012 9:34 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:25 am, *wrote:
Have a Hotpoint dishwasher from 1988. Still seems to run fine but does
a hit and miss job of cleaning. Leaves a noticeable film on glasses on
the top rack, is hit and miss on plates. Doesn't seem to matter what
detergent I use.

As far as I can tell there's still a strong jet of water getting
sprayed, gets plenty hot but it clearly seems to be less effective.
Any insights as to why this is?

Thanks

Obstruction internal to the water delivery system for the upper rack?
Water quality?

I have had good success rehabilitating older dishwashers using Finish
powdered detergent in the "pre-wash" soap holder and Lemi-Shine in the
main soap holder.

Over time, especially in machines with "heated wash" or "heated rinse"
or in harder water areas, hard water deposits can build up on machine
surfaces. *Lemi-Shine works to remove old deposits and keep new ones
from forming.

Lemi-Shine is a citric acid product.
As an aside, Lemi-Shine will brighten copper bottom pots& *pans, by
eating off copper corrosion products (& *possibly some of the copper?)

GIve Lemi-Shine a try * ..... *about $4 at the grocery store, also
available online.

I had the same problem, ran a couple of cycles each alternating
Lemi-Shine with white vinegar. *It completely fixed the problem.

Like you said, "Lemi-Shine is a citric acid product." *More
specifically, Lemi-Shine is an expensive way to buy citric acid, which
is its only active ingredient. *If I knew then what I know now, I'd go
on amazon.com and buy bulk citric acid at about a third the price of
Lemi-Shine.

I checked prices for bulk citric acid, on the wb & ebay.

Lemi-Shine on sale at my grocery store was a push compared to ebay
with S&H.

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:25 am, *wrote:
[...]

But on a second look ..... I see that there is one vendor that can
beat my grocery store.

store bought citric acid ~$5.80 / lb
ebay 25 lbs delivered for $~ $2.90 / lb
ebay 10 lbs deleiverd for $~ $3.90 / lb

so if I don't mind storing some bulk I can cut the cost by 1/2 or 1/3.

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2012 9:42 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Feb 7, 8:24 am, wrote:
On Feb 7, 3:02 am, Just wrote:

Like you said, "Lemi-Shine is a citric acid product." More
specifically, Lemi-Shine is an expensive way to buy citric acid, which
is its only active ingredient. If I knew then what I know now, I'd go
on amazon.com and buy bulk citric acid at about a third the price of
Lemi-Shine.

Lemi-Shine on sale at my grocery store was a push compared to ebay
with S&H.

But on a second look ..... I see that there is one vendor that can
beat my grocery store.

store bought citric acid ~$5.80 / lb
ebay 25 lbs delivered for $~ $2.90 / lb
ebay 10 lbs deleiverd for $~ $3.90 / lb

so if I don't mind storing some bulk I can cut the cost by 1/2 or 1/3.

ebay delivered price for citric acid - $27.90/10lb - $2.79/lb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citric-Acid-...em2eb978 ab91

ebay delivered price for citric acid - $59.99/25lb - $2.40/lb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-lb-Food-G...em35b8d8 0878

ebay delivered price for Lemi-Shine - $14.99/12oz. X 2 = $10.00/lb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-lot-2-Le...em4cfe2b c1ee

ebay delivered price for Lemi-Shine - $/12oz. X 8 = $8.75/lb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lemi-Shi...em4cfdad 3f02

ebay citric acid price for 10 lb. is 32% of best price for Lemi-Shine.

So if you don't mind storing some bulk you can cut the cost by over 2/3.