Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default How to fill gap between garage doors and driveway?

The area between the garage doors and the driveway has a 1" gap. The
driveway seems to have "shrunk" with the icy winters. The depth is
about 4-5".

How do I fill this gap? I thought of using cold patch, but since the
gap is so narrow, I probably will not be able to get the patch chunks
in compactly. Can I use sand to fill in most of the depth, then cold
patch the last 1"?

I am looking for any suggestions.
thanks
Mark
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Aug 1, 8:53*am, Stan Brown wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:49 -0600, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

The area between the garage doors and the driveway has a 1" gap. The
driveway seems to have "shrunk" with the icy winters. The depth is
about 4-5".

More likely the ground under the driveway has settled and pulled back from the
garage.

How do I fill this gap?

Why do you have to? In the grand scheme of things it isn't harming anything and
you are probably the only one who notices it.

To keep cold air out? *The better sheltered it was during the night,
the better the car will start in the morning.

Plus, if you close up the gap, you'll reduce the number of critters
that come inside to take up residence. Notice I said "reduce":
complete interdiction is probably not achievable.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Ok let me clarify. The gap is not between the driveway and the bottom
of the garage door. The gap is on the driveway. I am looking to fill
this so that it does not expand with water/ice freezing this winter. I
was thinking of first filling in with sand, then patching with cold
patch.
thanks
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Una Una is offline

wrote:
Ok let me clarify. The gap is not between the driveway and the bottom
of the garage door. The gap is on the driveway. I am looking to fill
this so that it does not expand with water/ice freezing this winter.

You have a drainage problem? Does water collect there? Or is the
water there only what falls on the garage door?

Una

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

The area between the garage doors and the driveway has a 1" gap. The
driveway seems to have "shrunk" with the icy winters. The depth is
about 4-5".

More likely the ground under the driveway has settled and pulled back f=

rom the
garage.

How do I fill this gap?

Why do you have to? In the grand scheme of things it isn't harming anyt=

hing and
you are probably the only one who notices it.

To keep cold air out? =A0The better sheltered it was during the night,
the better the car will start in the morning.

Plus, if you close up the gap, you'll reduce the number of critters
that come inside to take up residence. Notice I said "reduce":
complete interdiction is probably not achievable.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0ht=

tp://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Ok let me clarify. The gap is not between the driveway and the bottom
of the garage door. The gap is on the driveway. I am looking to fill
this so that it does not expand with water/ice freezing this winter. I
was thinking of first filling in with sand, then patching with cold
patch.
thanks

Go get some self leveling gap filler. Usually comes in the jumbo
squeeze guns.

greg