Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

On May 18, 8:18*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On May 18, 9:06*am, keith wrote:

On May 17, 6:49*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

keith wrote:
As I re-plumb my house, I have added a recirculation pump and
extra return line. If I'm going to want hot water, I push a
button, and 30 seconds later (or less) I can turn on the hot and
have it hot in 2 seconds.

At the cost of twice as much wasted hot water. I understand how a
recirculation pump works. How's this magic manifold work?

At the cost of no wasted hot water, in fact no wasted $.017/gallon
water. I don't have a clue what the "magic manifold" you speak of
is.

When you turn off the hot water you now have twice as much "waste"
hot water in the lines. Read the thread.

No, I don't. The pump turns off before the return pipe is filled.
And I haven't dumped the water in the pipe down the drain waiting
for it to get hot. Try thinking.

Baloney. *The water won't be up to temperature that quickly. *Truy not
to make crap up.

I only did it. That is the result. Where does your expert opinion come from?

Experience and common sense. *Water doesn't change temperuature
instantaneously. *To get hot water you have to recycle until it's
hot. *There will be hot water in the return line.

It works just like running the water to get hot water, but the water goes back
to the heater instead of down the drain. It isn't rocket science.

...and that water in the return line never gets hot? *...or it never
cools off? *You're FOS

Well, look at it this way:

The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. *If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would have a
lot more work to do. *Yes, there are losses when he's done using hot
water, but probably not as great as the usage from heating up all of
that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

keith wrote:
...and that water in the return line never gets hot? ...or it never
cools off? You're FOS

Well, look at it this way:

The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would have
a lot more work to do. Yes, there are losses when he's done using hot
water, but probably not as great as the usage from heating up all of
that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.

Must be nice to know it all.

But you are wrong. Enough said.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 10:13*am, "Bob F" wrote:
keith wrote:
...and that water in the return line never gets hot? ...or it never
cools off? You're FOS

Well, look at it this way:

The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would have
a lot more work to do. Yes, there are losses when he's done using hot
water, but probably not as great as the usage from heating up all of
that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.

Must be nice to know it all.

But you are wrong. Enough said.

If you believe this you're amazingly stupid.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

"keith" wrote
The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would have a
lot more work to do. Yes, there are losses when he's done using hot
water, but probably not as great as the usage from heating up all of
that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.

If it is heating season, there is no loss as you'd be adding heat to the air
in some form.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 9:54*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
keith wrote:
On May 18, 10:13 am, "Bob F" wrote:
keith wrote:
...and that water in the return line never gets hot? ...or it
never cools off? You're FOS

Well, look at it this way:

The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would
have a lot more work to do. Yes, there are losses when he's done
using hot water, but probably not as great as the usage from
heating up all of that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.

Must be nice to know it all.

But you are wrong. Enough said.

If you believe this you're amazingly stupid.

LOL!

Your ignorance isn't that funny.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 4:23*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"keith" wrote

The water in the return line is probably close to room temperature.
He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature. *If
he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater would have a
lot more work to do. *Yes, there are losses when he's done using hot
water, but probably not as great as the usage from heating up all of
that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice the
loss.

If it is heating season, there is no loss as you'd be adding heat to the air
in some form.

I addressed that issue too; you forget summer. There is no such thing
as a free lunch.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

keith wrote:
On May 18, 9:54 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
keith wrote:
On May 18, 10:13 am, "Bob F" wrote:
keith wrote:
...and that water in the return line never gets hot? ...or it
never cools off? You're FOS

Well, look at it this way:

The water in the return line is probably close to room
temperature. He only
has to heat it from room temperature to his target temperature.
If he was pulling in cold water from underground, his heater
would have a lot more work to do. Yes, there are losses when
he's done using hot water, but probably not as great as the
usage from heating up all of that
40 F water.

But it's the *same* loss as that in the supply line, i.e. twice
the loss.

Must be nice to know it all.

But you are wrong. Enough said.

If you believe this you're amazingly stupid.

LOL!

Your ignorance isn't that funny.

My ignorance is smarter than your brilliance.