Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Fluorescent lights upat ends only

I have under-cabinet lighting, traditional fluorescent tubes. One of
them lights up at the ends only. I've tried removing and reinserting
it, with no improvement. There's no audible buzz or hum. The
fixture takes only the one tube.

Is it likely to be the ballast, or something else? And is the
ballast that little silery-metal cylindrical thing, about an inch in
length and maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
I have under-cabinet lighting, traditional fluorescent tubes. One of
them lights up at the ends only. I've tried removing and reinserting
it, with no improvement. There's no audible buzz or hum. The
fixture takes only the one tube.

Tried a lamp from one of the other fixtures? That's a quick way to
determine which is at fault.

Is it likely to be the ballast, or something else? And is the
ballast that little silery-metal cylindrical thing, about an inch in
length and maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter?

That's the starter; some older fixture had separate starters, virtually
all larger ones have the starter built into the ballast.

Try moving one from the another fixture, if it turns out to not be
the lamp.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"It's kind of hard to rally 'round a math class."
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:10:00 -0500 from Gary Heston
:

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
I have under-cabinet lighting, traditional fluorescent tubes. One of
them lights up at the ends only. I've tried removing and reinserting
it, with no improvement. There's no audible buzz or hum. The
fixture takes only the one tube.

Tried a lamp from one of the other fixtures? That's a quick way to
determine which is at fault.

Thanks, Gary. Yes, I did try another tube; I should have mentioned.
Result was the same.

Is it likely to be the ballast, or something else? And is the
ballast that little silery-metal cylindrical thing, about an inch in
length and maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter?

That's the starter; some older fixture had separate starters, virtually
all larger ones have the starter built into the ballast.

Thanks. I had never heard of a starter before! With that hint, I
found this nice troubleshooting page:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../inffluor.html

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Stan Brown wrote:
I have under-cabinet lighting, traditional fluorescent tubes. One of
them lights up at the ends only. I've tried removing and reinserting
it, with no improvement. There's no audible buzz or hum. The
fixture takes only the one tube.

Tried a lamp from one of the other fixtures? That's a quick way to
determine which is at fault.

I also saw on a Web site that a lamp that is dark at both ends (when
not under power) is likely bad or near the end of its life. This
tube was white for its entire length.

That's the starter; some older fixture had separate starters,
virtually all larger ones have the starter built into the ballast.

Thanks! Oddly enough the other fixture has a place for punching out
a hole for the starter, but no actual starter. So it must have a
newer-style ballast. (These fixtures were in the house when I bought
it four years ago, and until recently I just ignored them.)

I would not have known the name "starter" without you. I took the
one that I had to lowe's and found that they were sold in blister
packs, two starters for $1.98. that seemed little enough to risk, so
I bought a pack. Sure enough, the starter had been bad, and I now
have under-cabinet lighting.

Of course, all is not well. The ballasts are he old magnetic ones,
and one of them buzzes quite loudly. So I just don't use that
fixture, because I don't want to replace the ballast. (There's a
master switch for the three of them, but they have individual
switches as well.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...