Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Credit Card problem

I'm just about to drop this "National Grange" M.C. card. The criminals
have not only charged me $39 for a late fee but a "finance Charge of
$7.66.
I believe I mailed it in time. But I have heard they love to ding you
even if they get it on the "day" of payment due. Which how can you argue
with? Anyway, I'm about to call them and ask some questions.
My question with the group is . Can I persuade them to drop these
charges? I heard even "Washington" is getting after them for these
common problems.
I certainly will bring this up at the local grange. I am seriously
considering dropping this card. They killed the goose that laid the
"Golden Egg" as we say in the country.
Any ideas on how to deal with these greedy folks. They do not e-mail.
TIA, another irate consumer.
g.
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article -
sjc.supernews.net, says...
I'm just about to drop this "National Grange" M.C. card. The criminals
have not only charged me $39 for a late fee but a "finance Charge of
$7.66.
I believe I mailed it in time. But I have heard they love to ding you
even if they get it on the "day" of payment due. Which how can you argue
with? Anyway, I'm about to call them and ask some questions.
My question with the group is . Can I persuade them to drop these
charges? I heard even "Washington" is getting after them for these
common problems.
I certainly will bring this up at the local grange. I am seriously
considering dropping this card. They killed the goose that laid the
"Golden Egg" as we say in the country.
Any ideas on how to deal with these greedy folks. They do not e-mail.
TIA, another irate consumer.
g.

Of course, the Grange has virtually nothing to do with this card, except
get a small percentage of your charges. The card is almost certainly
managed by Citi or Bank of America (who purchased MBNA, one of the
largest vendors of "personalized" cards).

Most bills now have "allow X days for processing" in tiny print.
By mailing bills later, shorter grace periods, and sitting on received
mail without processing it, the card companies can substantially
increase the number of payments that are "late". A late fee is 100%
profit for them.

Pay off the card, and put it away (do NOT close it, as the reduction in
your "available credit" can lower your credit score).

Then never do business with the scum again. Consider the late fee
tuition in the School of Sleazy Business Practices.

--Gene
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article
,
a War Veteran wrote:

I'm just about to drop this "National Grange" M.C. card. The criminals
have not only charged me $39 for a late fee but a "finance Charge of
$7.66.
I believe I mailed it in time. But I have heard they love to ding you
even if they get it on the "day" of payment due. Which how can you argue
with?

You can always mail it with a request for proof of delivery. That
will give you the date it was delivered. Remember that bags of
mail are still pulled from the system from time to time and sent
for anthrax testing, which can delay that bag of mail for a week
to 10 days. It is possible that your mail really was late.

You could have also scheduled an electronic payment. That is
usually much safer when the due date is getting tight.

Anyway, I'm about to call them and ask some questions.
My question with the group is . Can I persuade them to drop these
charges?

If this is the first time, and your account is in good standing,
you have a good chance of getting the charges dropped. I have
had good luck suggesting that some natural disaster might have
delayed the mail, such as a blizzard that made TV news. You
have nothing to lose by giving them a call.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 29 May 2009 04:49:27 -0700, a War Veteran
wrote:

I'm just about to drop this "National Grange" M.C. card. The criminals
have not only charged me $39 for a late fee but a "finance Charge of
$7.66.
I believe I mailed it in time. But I have heard they love to ding you
even if they get it on the "day" of payment due. Which how can you argue
with? Anyway, I'm about to call them and ask some questions.
My question with the group is . Can I persuade them to drop these
charges? I heard even "Washington" is getting after them for these
common problems.

You *might* get them to drop the charges. The often will do this for
customers in good standing. Chase did it once for me because I paid
the bill too early and then "missed" the due date. Yes, it was my
fault and certainly would have closed the card if they didn't cut me
some slack, which they did just for the (polite) asking. I've since
pushed enough through that card to have received $1000 in cash backs
(bought most of my cabinet saw with the rebate). ;-)

Another thing you might check is the date your bank cleared the check.
A mortgage company we had 20ish years ago would consistently (every
six months) "forget" to post our payment until it was delinquent. Each
time it had cleared our bank at least a week before. Of course, they
"apologized" each time (they were caught with their hand in the cookie
jar). We were sure glad to throw them overboard when we moved!

I certainly will bring this up at the local grange. I am seriously
considering dropping this card. They killed the goose that laid the
"Golden Egg" as we say in the country.
Any ideas on how to deal with these greedy folks. They do not e-mail.
TIA, another irate consumer.

I now pay my CCs online. I don't like relying on the USPS for
anything.