Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
MC MC is offline

Default Improving hot water performance

I should add that the water heater is not in the basement; it's on the first floor. I understand that if it were in the basement (below all the rest of the hot water pipes), there would be some recirculation because of the difference in density between hot and cold water. In my house, most of the tank is actually higher than the rest of the system, and that probably makes the hot water want to go back into the tank rather than stay in the pipes.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

MC wrote:
I should add that the water heater is not in the basement; it's on the first floor. I understand that if it were in the basement (below all the rest of the hot water pipes), there would be some recirculation because of the difference in density between hot and cold water. In my house, most of the tank is actually higher than the rest of the system, and that probably makes the hot water want to go back into the tank rather than stay in the pipes.

Is the piping exposed?
If so, the first step should be to insulate the entire run.

Jim

Improving a lawn dean Home Repair 8 April 13th 07 10:11 PM
Culligan water "conditioner"...performance lacking? GotBonus? Home Repair 6 January 16th 06 01:57 PM
Improving AC in one room Tony Home Ownership 2 June 16th 05 06:46 PM
Improving a Condo's View To the Outside FE Home Repair 6 March 5th 04 01:00 PM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM