Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Default Hand Spinner

I called a plumber to unstop a sink, and h and his assistant did it with
a Hand Spinner.(it looks like a short plastic drum, and you turn a handle at
one end, and the auger cable reels out the other end, and goes down the
drain.) You just keep turning the handle and angling the Spinner until it
augers out the drain.

I imagine that it would be cheaper to buy a Hand Spinner than to call a
plumber for a job I could do without professional assistance. Dos anybody
recommend a particular brand of Hand Spinner? Can it be bought on line or in
a store? Maybe Home Depot?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Onoit wrote in
merica:

I called a plumber to unstop a sink, and h and his assistant did it
with a Hand Spinner.(it looks like a short plastic drum, and you turn
a handle at one end, and the auger cable reels out the other end, and
goes down the drain.) You just keep turning the handle and angling
the Spinner until it augers out the drain.

I imagine that it would be cheaper to buy a Hand Spinner than to call
a plumber for a job I could do without professional assistance. Dos
anybody recommend a particular brand of Hand Spinner? Can it be
bought on line or in a store? Maybe Home Depot?

Every one I've seen is just as cheap as the next. They're available at
every place I've been that sells plumbing parts, and at a few grocery
stores.

Don't waste $10.00 in gas trying to save $1.00 on the purchase price.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to misc.consumers.house,pdaxs.services.plumbing

On Nov 30, 2:08*pm, "Onoit" wrote:
* *I called a plumber to unstop a sink, and h and his assistant did it with
a Hand Spinner.(it looks like a short plastic drum, and you turn a handle at
one end, and the auger cable reels out the other end, and goes down the
drain.) You just keep turning the handle and angling the Spinner until it
augers out the drain.

* *I imagine that it would be cheaper to buy a Hand Spinner than to call a
plumber for a job I could do without professional assistance. * Dos anybody
recommend a particular brand of Hand Spinner? Can it be bought on line or in
a store? Maybe Home Depot?

Wait till you need it, I have one, HD has a lifetime warranty on
ridgid tools but last time I needed it the clog was down in the
basement, maybe only 7$ at HD
Posted to misc.consumers.house,pdaxs.services.plumbing

On Nov 30, 12:08*pm, "Onoit" wrote:
* *I called a plumber to unstop a sink, and h and his assistant did it with
a Hand Spinner.(it looks like a short plastic drum, and you turn a handle at
one end, and the auger cable reels out the other end, and goes down the
drain.) You just keep turning the handle and angling the Spinner until it
augers out the drain.

* *I imagine that it would be cheaper to buy a Hand Spinner than to call a
plumber for a job I could do without professional assistance. * Dos anybody
recommend a particular brand of Hand Spinner? Can it be bought on line or in
a store? Maybe Home Depot?

The device to which you refer is commonly known as a "Plumber's
Snake." Just walk into any home-improvement store and ask for it by
name. One brand name is "Drain Aid." The one I have is advertised as a
"25' Drain Opener" and it consists of a 1/4" coiled cable with a ~1/2"
"bulb" on the leading end of the cable. Also available are 50-75' 3/8"
cables with larger "bulbs" and 100+' 1/2" cables with yet larger
"bulbs."

As a "handy homeowner," it serves one well to have at least a 25'
example on hand. These can be found for about $10-12 at most hardware
stores.

Ransley writes: "Wait till you need it, I have one, HD has a lifetime
warranty on ridgid tools but last time I needed it the clog was down
in the basement, maybe only 7$ at HD"

While the advice to wait until you need one is sound, during the past
25 years of home ownership I have learned that owning one is
practically required. I consider it one of the tools every homeowner
should have on hand.

I have no idea what message Ransley means to convey by saying "HD has
a lifetime warranty on ridgid tools but last time I needed it the clog
was down in the basement." Ransley: What do the terms of the warranty
have to do with the location of the obstruction?

Anyway, my advice to all homeowners is to buy at least a 25'
"Plumber's Snake" of whatever make.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Thanks. Seems like good advice to me.