Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default What do Realtor think of Radon ?

I was wondering from a Realtor's honest perspective what they observe when
they come upon a Buyer...and your visiting a house with him that has a Radon
Mitigation System installed. Is that a real downer for them & something
that will change their mind ?

I live in Pennsylvania where Radon is prevalent. I recently noticed my
radon levels are around 7.0. Normal levels are under 4.0. I recently
had laminated wood flooring installed in the basement and the levels dropped
down to around 4.5. Almost to the legal limits.

Im just really putting off installing a Radon Mitigation System...thinking
that would turn Buyers off alot. Any advice and/or experiences with this
would be much appreciated.

John

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 18, 8:51*pm, "john"
wrote:
I was wondering from a Realtor's honest perspective what they observe when
they come upon a Buyer...and your visiting a house with him that has a Radon
Mitigation System installed. * Is that a real downer for them & something
that will change their mind ?

I live in Pennsylvania where Radon is prevalent. *I recently noticed my
radon levels are around 7.0. * * Normal levels are under 4.0. * *I recently
had laminated wood flooring installed in the basement and the levels dropped
down to around 4.5. * *Almost to the legal limits.

Im just really putting off installing a Radon Mitigation System...thinking
that would turn Buyers off alot. * Any advice and/or experiences with this
would be much appreciated.

John

Radon takes the "Path of least resistance". If your levels decreased
after your flooring was installed, then the Radon was able to find
another path, which is good. Something similar happened to me in my
old house in Lansdowne many years ago after they discovered all those
'hot houses'. If I were you, I would test it once a year to be on the
safe side.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article d24ea624-adcc-4868-8e2b-d8f41b18c414
@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jun 18, 8:51*pm, "john"
wrote:
I was wondering from a Realtor's honest perspective what they observe when
they come upon a Buyer...and your visiting a house with him that has a Radon
Mitigation System installed. * Is that a real downer for them & something
that will change their mind ?

I live in Pennsylvania where Radon is prevalent. *I recently noticed my
radon levels are around 7.0. * * Normal levels are under 4.0. * *I recently
had laminated wood flooring installed in the basement and the levels dropped
down to around 4.5. * *Almost to the legal limits.

Im just really putting off installing a Radon Mitigation System...thinking
that would turn Buyers off alot. * Any advice and/or experiences with this
would be much appreciated.

When I sold my NY house I had to install a radon mitigation system
(~12pCi/l). The realtor told me it was actually a good thing.
Since it was becoming so common it wasn't looked at as a danger,
rather than an expense the new home owner wouldn't have to bother
with. My brother's reading in his (North of Philly) house was
270pCi/l in the basement!

Radon takes the "Path of least resistance". If your levels decreased
after your flooring was installed, then the Radon was able to find
another path, which is good. Something similar happened to me in my
old house in Lansdowne many years ago after they discovered all those
'hot houses'. If I were you, I would test it once a year to be on the
safe side.

Good advice, but unless it was at those levels on the main floor, I
wouldn't worry about it until I sold. Then only maybe.

--
Keith
Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

wrote:
[...]

yeah, it makes a difference whether the basement is living space, i.e.
playroom or even bedroom, or just basement. that remedial limit of 4.0
is based on the general rule of thumb, 1/100,000 risk of death for
lifetime exposure, and when they say lifetime exposure they really do
mean 80 years nonstop. so popping down into the basement once or twice
a day for the laundry or something isn't quite the same thing, whereas
8 hours a day sack time is closer.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , john says...

I was wondering from a Realtor's honest perspective what they observe when
they come upon a Buyer...and your visiting a house with him that has a Radon
Mitigation System installed. Is that a real downer for them & something
that will change their mind ?

I live in Pennsylvania where Radon is prevalent. I recently noticed my
radon levels are around 7.0. Normal levels are under 4.0. I recently
had laminated wood flooring installed in the basement and the levels dropped
down to around 4.5. Almost to the legal limits.

Im just really putting off installing a Radon Mitigation System...thinking
that would turn Buyers off alot. Any advice and/or experiences with this
would be much appreciated.

John

I'm not a realtor, but argon level measurment was most definetly part of the
house inspection when I bought in upstate New York. A high level would be a
definite put off.

A radon mitigation system means it's fixed - that's a good thing. Especially
where radon is a common problem. The fix is quite a straightforward one -
various methods of redirecting and dissipating. its not something that would
break down. It would not turn me off as a buyer.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 18, 8:51 pm, "john"
wrote:
I was wondering from a Realtor's honest perspective what they observe when
they come upon a Buyer...and your visiting a house with him that has aRadon
Mitigation System installed. Is that a real downer for them & something
that will change their mind ?

I live in Pennsylvania whereRadonis prevalent. I recently noticed myradonlevels are around 7.0. Normal levels are under 4.0. I recently
had laminated wood flooring installed in the basement and the levels dropped
down to around 4.5. Almost to the legal limits.

Im just really putting off installing aRadonMitigation System...thinking
that would turn Buyers off alot. Any advice and/or experiences with this
would be much appreciated.

John

I started monitoring the level at my house a couple months ago near
pittsburgh. I was shocked to getting levels up to 6 or more, and even
in the upstairs rooms. I later surmised I had a window open on the
downdraft side of the house, sucking air up from the basement, and
probably also sucking more air out of the floor. On my old house i had
troubled levels of about 5. I later did a lot of sealing in the
basement and got levels below 4, but still had to mitigate with the
buyers. OK, highly watered ground will greatly increase Radon levels.
My current levels dropped from 6 to 2.5 due to the drier ground. If at
all possible do not sell a house in the late spring. I was trying to
get instantaneous readings with a Geiger counter, and thats impossible
unless you use an air flow amplifier. I WAS able to detect Radon on my
paper electrostatic furnace air cleaner, with consistently higher
levels on the filter in relation to the air. The ONLY way to monitor
RADON is to constantly measure it over the year.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 25, 1:10 pm, GS wrote:
On Jun 18, 8:51 pm, "john"
wrote:

[...]

I really meant early spring when the winter thaw and spring rains are
beginning to saturate the ground. You can tell when the soil is just
plain saturated, and it squishes when you walk on it.

Choosing A Realtor [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 3rd 08 08:44 PM
realtor question HK Home Ownership 4 February 18th 06 01:17 AM
The Realtor Racket MrPepper11 Home Ownership 29 August 18th 05 02:10 PM
What to look for in a Realtor e-PRO Kenneth Home Ownership 1 February 16th 05 05:56 PM
"Ditching" a realtor? dm Home Ownership 12 July 31st 03 04:57 PM