Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

Default caulk or not, under porch railing slats?

I've got a real old porch railing with wood slats that now, after a
repair, don't touch the bottom rail. Or they didn't for a long time: I
just pulled off the old caulk. I'm debating whether to caulk again as
I'm seeing a little dry rot in the wood. What does the collective
recommend: caulk or something else?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
says...
I've got a real old porch railing with wood slats that now, after a
repair, don't touch the bottom rail. Or they didn't for a long time: I
just pulled off the old caulk. I'm debating whether to caulk again as
I'm seeing a little dry rot in the wood. What does the collective
recommend: caulk or something else?

Rot Doctor (
www.rotdoctor.com) has some marvelous stuff for treating
stuff just starting get soft, as well as more advanced rot. I used
some on my last house. Great stuff, but not cheap nor exactly
easy/clean to work with.

As far as not not touching the bottom rail... Is the problem that
the rail is sagging? If so, you might think about using threaded
rod through the top and bottom rail to put the baulisters under some
compression, rather than gravity trying to pull the whole mess
apart.

--
Keith