Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Can I get estimated appraisal for 11 yrs ago?

For capital gains tax purposes, I need to know the value of a property
at the time of my mother's death in '97. (The "gains,' from what I
understand, is the difference between what it was worth when she died
-- I inherited the house -- and how much I received for it.) It
wasn't appraised in '97 -- there was one in 2000. Any way -- a
website? -- I can get an estimate value for it at that time?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Paul Kossa" wrote in message
For capital gains tax purposes, I need to know the value of a property
at the time of my mother's death in '97. (The "gains,' from what I
understand, is the difference between what it was worth when she died
-- I inherited the house -- and how much I received for it.) It
wasn't appraised in '97 -- there was one in 2000. Any way -- a
website? -- I can get an estimate value for it at that time?

See an accountant who practices before the IRS, to help you establish an
answer to this question which will pass muster with the guvmit 'crats should
they question it in the future. Not having gotten an appraisal when you
inherited the house, you will probably need to follow sales of comparable
properties at the time of the inheritance, at the time of the 2000
appraisal, and possibly now. Property value assessments from that time may
be helpful if they were set by the local property taxing authority at a
stated fraction of the property's actual worth. You could do the legwork
yourself to avoid having to pay the accounting firm to do it for you. But
definitely do see the money guy for guidance. "Love letters" from the IRS
can be seriously bad juju.