Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Sliding window security

Everybody knows about clamps that can be used to secure sliding glass
windows, and bars that can be placed in the window track. But I am
looking for something better.

The problem with clamps & bars is that you need to secure the window
such that the remaining opening is small enough that a person can not
enter through it. But when it's hot and muggy in the summer, this
doesn't really allow for adequate ventilation.

I've thought of two possible solutions:

1) replace the sliding glass window with a similarly sized sliding
panel with a sturdy metal mesh to allow in air.

2) leave the sliding panel in place, and insert a (possibly
expandable) version of the above in the open area.

Both of these ideas seem fairly obvious, but I have not been able to
locate a source for either.

I was wondering what other people might think about this, and if
anybody could provide a pointer to where either of the above might be
obtained. (Option 1 seems like something I could possibly contract
with a local welder to fabricate, as a last resort.)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Mar 23, 2:06 pm, Ira Gladnick wrote:
The problem with clamps & bars is that you need to secure the window
such that the remaining opening is small enough that a person can not
enter through it. But when it's hot and muggy in the summer, this
doesn't really allow for adequate ventilation.

There is no good way to have any window open enough for good
ventilation yet be secure. If you really require this you might need
to put in window bars.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mar 24, 6:30*am, WDS wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:06 pm, Ira Gladnick wrote:

The problem with clamps & bars is that you need to secure the window
such that the remaining opening is small enough that a person can not
enter through it. *But when it's hot and muggy in the summer, this
doesn't really allow for adequate ventilation.

There is no good way to have any window open enough for good
ventilation yet be secure. *If you really require this you might need
to put in window bars.

Should have mentioned that my homeowner's association has a problem
with window bars.

I think my two alternate ideas are sound--it seems odd that they don't
seem to be available "off-the-shelf".
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Plus, sliding windows do not offer any security if they are unlatched. All
you have to do is cut the screen, reach in and push the slider up out of its
tracks, tip the bottom in, and it just removes entirely. It would need some
kind of bolt that went through the slider and the frame to hold it down while
partially open. Don't know if a burglar would think if this, but its pretty
obvious if you have worked with sliding windows.

The usual fix to the lifting problem is to put something in the
upper track to prevent raising the window unless it is fully open.
Something as simple as a couple of screws will work. In fact, I
thought the anti-lift design was a standard feature of newer
windows.

Not that I am aware of. I have installed Andersen and American Craftsman
sliders in the past two years and they all pop right out..

--
Dennis