Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Do I need a new thermostat

I have a GE Refrigerator. It's a couple of years old. I have a service contract and the repairman is
coming tomorrow.

Here is the problem. The fridge is now a couple of years old. About 6 months ago, the temperature
has not been stable. For instance, the freezer section was displaying a temperature of -5 degrees,
when the temerature was set to -2.

The refridgerator has to be set to 35 degrees otherwise the setting goes to around 40, when I set
the temperature to 37.

Now, I know that when the doors are open, temperature rises. My problem, is if the doors are closed
at night, the next morning, the temperature, should not be colder than the set termperature.

Should I have the repariman replace the thermostat. Too bad, the repairmen that are usually sent,
are not very good. So I have to try to get advice before he comes, so I can get this fixed without
many visits.

Your advice to tell the repairman would be great.

Thank you,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote:

[...]

The 2003 era GE refrigerators, including the Arctica model that
I own, have a design weakness in the flapper valve that is a
temperature based switch that regulates the cold air flow between
the refrigerator and freezer. Mine broke after about 6 months.
Yours may have just broken. There is a fix up kit available that
has a stronger mechanism. Dealers were supposed update units before
they sent them out, but the kit ended up in short supply, and
many units made it out without the mod.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

The 2003 era GE refrigerators, including the Arctica model that
I own, have a design weakness in the flapper valve that is a
temperature based switch that regulates the cold air flow between
the refrigerator and freezer. Mine broke after about 6 months.
Yours may have just broken. There is a fix up kit available that
has a stronger mechanism. Dealers were supposed update units before
they sent them out, but the kit ended up in short supply, and
many units made it out without the mod.

John,

My thermometer for my refrigerator and freezer is digital and located in refrigerator. I printed out
your email, for the repairman's reference. Is it possible, that I would also need a thermostat,
(just asking), because the termperature does not conform to it's settings?

Thanks much,