Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Reliable basement dehumidifer?

Our 25+ year old dehumidifer seems to have finally given up the
ghost. I reflexively went to the Sears Web site to look for a new
one, but the 3 Kenmore models displayed all have dismal customer
reliability ratings.

Who makes a reliable dehumidifier these days?

One with a low-temperature feature would be a nice change; we don't
heat the basement much during the winter and it's still about 64F
down there right now.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Bert Hyman" wrote
Our 25+ year old dehumidifer seems to have finally given up the
ghost. I reflexively went to the Sears Web site to look for a new
one, but the 3 Kenmore models displayed all have dismal customer
reliability ratings.

Who makes a reliable dehumidifier these days?

One with a low-temperature feature would be a nice change; we don't
heat the basement much during the winter and it's still about 64F
down there right now.

==
We need to replace our just out of warranty Kenmore unit. The only
dehumidifier I found
that has acceptable customer ratings (besides the pricey Santa Fe units) is
the Danby. It is
said to be quiet and effective and operates down to 44F. I couldn't find a
retailer locally and ordered one online at
qualitymatters.com. I haven't received the unit yet but they did ship
promptly and sent
the tracking number. It's scheduled for delivery Wednesday. I ordered the 58
pint which
was 203.97 + shipping. HTH.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Jun 11, 11:08 pm, "Gini" wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote Our 25+ year old dehumidifer seems to have finally given up the
[...]

My 2 year old Kenmore 70 pint low temperature digital item, the fan
motor died. Also, despite the low temp rating, it ices up totally
below about 68 degrees. Anyway, I found out it's the same as the
ComfortAire unit; I bought one of those, and guess what; it was
labelled LG Goldstar, although it's in every way identical except for
the name. And guess what; it's out on warranty repair right now, as
the fan motor died, so quickly I didn't have time to check whether it
iced up or not. So, I'm guessing a lot of them are made by LG
Goldstar, and there is a problem with the fan motors. I would bet it's
the overtemp protection item blowing out, and I would bet that's from
reduced airflow when they ice up, but that's just a guess.

At least with air conditioners, the chassis and hardware for different
brands are all LG Goldstar, but they put in different control
circuitry.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"z" wrote
"Gini" wrote:
[...]

Mine runs. It just shuts off after about 30 seconds, then starts again
several hours later
no matter which setting it is on. I have been Kenmore /Elite brand loyal for
decades but their quality
has deteriorated so much the past several years that I am now avoiding
Kenmore. The dehumidifier
experience did it--after my $1000. 3 yr. old K/E range needed a new circuit
board.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Jun 12, 8:44 pm, "Gini" wrote:
"z" wrote

"Gini" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the compressor etc. does that on mine now that the fan is off.
I'm guessing that the pressure or whatever doesn't work out right with
no airflow and some sort of internal safety switch goes off. If I
stick a window box fan up against the evaporator, it doesn't shut off,
but i don't get enough airflow for serious dehumidification.