Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default house wiring trouble

Can anyone explain the following wire set up?

At a single pole switch I have:

1 - 2 wire (black and white - probably the source)
1 - 3 wire (black, red and white - going to the ceiling box)

At the ceiling box I have:

1 - 2 wire (black and white)
1 - 3 wire (black, red and white - from single pole switch)

Where does the 2 wire at the ceiling box go to? What is it for?

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan (w/ light) where just a light used
to be. Seems as though when I get everything hooked up right (I
think) - then all other outlets in room are effected by what the fan
(not the light) is doing on the ceiling fan.

Thanks, Darb

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On May 28, 1:34 am, Bob wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone explain the following wire set up?

At a single pole switch I have:

1 - 2 wire (black and white - probably the source)
1 - 3 wire (black, red and white - going to the ceiling box)

At the ceiling box I have:

1 - 2 wire (black and white)
1 - 3 wire (black, red and white - from single pole switch)

Where does the 2 wire at the ceiling box go to? What is it for?

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan (w/ light) where just a light used
to be. Seems as though when I get everything hooked up right (I
think) - then all other outlets in room are effected by what the fan
(not the light) is doing on the ceiling fan.

If you're lucky, the 3-wire cable is connecting both switched and
unswitched power between the switch box and the ceiling box. Chances
are the black is continuous and the red is switched. This would be the
case if the switch is connected to black and red and the fixture is
connected to red and white. In that case, connect the switched light to
red and white and the unswitched fan to black and white.

However, you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to
render an authoritative answer and you should not rely on Usenet alone
for wiring advice.- Hide quoted text -

That sounds logical to me too. The 2 wire cable in the ceiling box
probably feeds other outlets and needs to be connected to the black
coming from the switch box, which should be the unswitched. The red
would be going to the switch. We don;t know how exactly you want the
new fan set up, ie does the wall switch control the light, the fan,
nothing, etc.