Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default a little OT - rude county employees

I'm asking this for someone who does not have internet access.

When a county employee (zoning inspector or similar) comes to your
house because you've violated zoning laws, in what way should they
treat you? Should they tell you that you've violated the law and demand
that you fix the violations? Or should they tell you that you've
violated the law and politely ask you to fix the violations?

The person I'm asking this for violated zoning laws several years ago.
When the inspectors came out to his house, he claims that they told him
that he had to clean up his property. He also claims that these
inspectors were very rude to him. I'm guessing that he means they were
maybe bossy and authoritative. He says that when anyone comes onto your
property whether it be a county employee or the President of the United
States, they should never tell you what to do and should treat you with
respect.

I'd like to get opinions on this matter. How are zoning inspectors
supposed to treat people that are in violation?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Mike S." writes:

I'd like to get opinions on this matter. How are zoning inspectors
supposed to treat people that are in violation?

Wait a minute, are you saying this person encountered a rude
government employee with a bad attitude?

Shocking!

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...

When a county employee (zoning inspector or similar) comes to your
house because you've violated zoning laws, in what way should they
treat you? Should they tell you that you've violated the law and demand
that you fix the violations? Or should they tell you that you've
violated the law and politely ask you to fix the violations?

You are asking the wrong people. This question
should be directed to the mayor, town mananager,
or whichever elected official supervises city hall staff.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Well keep in mind that the county inspector is probably going around all day
telling people they need to clean up their property. I don't suppose they
encounter a lot of people who welcome them with open arms, invite them in
for tea, etc.

So sure they should be polite, but probably not an easy thing to do with
that type of job? Same thing with cops. Think about who they are dealing
with all day long. Some cops can be quite nasty.

The ladies at the grocery store check out lines usually seem to be friendly
though!

"Mike S." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Bill" writes:

Well keep in mind that the county inspector is probably going around all day
telling people they need to clean up their property. I don't suppose they
encounter a lot of people who welcome them with open arms, invite them in
for tea, etc.

So sure they should be polite, but probably not an easy thing to do with
that type of job? Same thing with cops. Think about who they are dealing
with all day long. Some cops can be quite nasty.

The ladies at the grocery store check out lines usually seem to be friendly
though!

The difference: you have a choice in where you can shop for
groceries.

Customer service cluefulness among government employees and those of
regulated monopolies are therefore among the worst you'll encounter.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com, Mike S.
says...

[...]

Politely but firmly.

Consider that, to your friend, "politely but firmly" may have seemed to him to
be "rude". Being truly in violation, and having a government official come to
one in the course of enforcing the law, tends to put one on the defensive and
color one's perceptions.

Since you state "....they should never tell you what to do..." I really wonder
if this is a matter of perception as to how rude they were. I mean, he's in
violation, they want him to comply - that pretty much necessarily involves
telling him what to do.

Banty

OT - New Employees Cliff Metalworking 0 May 19th 06 07:19 AM
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees Suz UK diy 9 November 14th 05 08:06 PM
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees Chris Bacon UK diy 0 November 14th 05 06:59 PM
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees Chris Bacon UK diy 0 November 10th 05 10:36 PM
Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores Gene Home Repair 133 December 30th 04 10:55 PM