Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Concrete Driveways

They always say that there are two type of concrete. Concrete that is
about to break or concrete that is broken.
I will have to put in new driveway next year. My brother had 6 in
fiberglass reinforced over rebar poured two years ago. It has a couple
of breaks already.
There is always new stuff coming out. What's the newest and best
concrete to technology? I don't want to do this more than once if I can.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:56:13 -0700, someone wrote:

They always say that there are two type of concrete. Concrete that is
about to break or concrete that is broken.

The best way to avoid cracks in concrete is to put them in on purpose
in advance. You see it all the time on professionally designed
(architect, engineer) commercial work. After the flatwork is "placed"
(not "poured"), a guy comes in with a diamond saw and makes nice
straight even partial cuts through the slab in pre-planned locations.

This encourages any cracking from the inevitable later movement to
form in those intentionally weakened straight lines. Doesn't always
work completely, but it sure helps!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

john wrote:

They always say that there are two type of concrete. Concrete that is
about to break or concrete that is broken.
I will have to put in new driveway next year. My brother had 6 in
fiberglass reinforced over rebar poured two years ago. It has a couple
of breaks already.
There is always new stuff coming out. What's the newest and best
concrete to technology? I don't want to do this more than once if I can.

Find a contractor who knows how to spec and install concrete. The primary factor
in concrete strength is it's PSI rating. Older contractors also refer to this as
the "bag count" after the number of bags used in a hand mix.

Almost as important is the quality of the agregate used. Both of these are under
the contractor's control. The concrete plant just mixes to spec. Rebar as
appropriate for the span.

It needs to be installed over the correct base - material and compaction, and
weather needs to be taken into account.

Finially, you need to spec strength based on what you plan on driving over it. I
had to jackhammer out a patio once that was built to near Interstate Highway
specs. It wasn't fun - or necessary.

Properly installed, your driveway *won't* crack anywhere that it isn't supposed
to. You can always pay for an independent strength test during install.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Rick Blaine wrote:
john wrote:

[...]

I've seen lots of concrete and almost always, there is some minor
cracking somewhere. If it were just an issue of proper installation,
you'd see reputable contractors or companies willing to give a
guarantee, like they do with a new roof. But, I've never seen a
concrete contractor give a warranty against minor cracking.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
jim jim is offline

Till the earth stops moving I will not give a gauranty on concrete
least you want to build it like a parkade 12 inches thick 16 on the
edges. Here in our climate it will break no matter what just how long
it takes is unknown
wrote:
Rick Blaine wrote:
john wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Concrete driveways, a big yes! I installed concrete driveways in my patio and really satisfied. This type of driveway has a uniform surface so it's best for those who want to get purge of weeds. Concrete driveways add a value to the property and available in different sizes, shapes and colours. Moreover, these driveways also prevent injuries and save tires from damaging.