Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question about Re-location

All,

I will be re-locating from Fort Worth, TX to Minneapolis, MN sometime
in the next year, and have to sell my current house (I do not expect to
make much off of the sale), and buy a new house in MN.

First, do most people move into temporary housing and wait for their
old house to sell, or do they just jump in and buy a new house right
away (essentially having 2 mortgages)? Will banks even allow this?

I plan on using a realty company, but once I am gone, will they take
care of the house (i.e. mow the lawn, check in from time to time, etc)
or do I have to find another company to do that? I am concerned that
the house may need to stay on the market for a while, and feel like it
would be unwise to just let it sit there vacant while I am 1000 miles
away.

Also, when the house sells, would I have to fly back to sign the
papers?

Also, has anyone had any experiences with company relocation
assistance? What can I expect ( I am a senior software engineer)? Do
they usually pay some or all of the realtor cost?

I am hoping someone in this newsgroup has gone through this before and
can give me some pointers.

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
Dan wrote:
All,

I will be re-locating from Fort Worth, TX to Minneapolis, MN sometime
in the next year, and have to sell my current house (I do not expect to
make much off of the sale), and buy a new house in MN.

First, do most people move into temporary housing and wait for their
old house to sell, or do they just jump in and buy a new house right
away (essentially having 2 mortgages)? Will banks even allow this?

Depends on wether or not you can afford 2 mortgages. All the banks care
about is if you can make the payments.

I would suggest renting so that you don't have to rush into a house.
Lets you become familiar with the area before you commit.

I plan on using a realty company, but once I am gone, will they take
care of the house (i.e. mow the lawn, check in from time to time, etc)
or do I have to find another company to do that? I am concerned that
the house may need to stay on the market for a while, and feel like it
would be unwise to just let it sit there vacant while I am 1000 miles
away.

Talk to the selling realtor about this.

Also, when the house sells, would I have to fly back to sign the
papers?

Probably not. Depends on the competance of the selling realtor and
whatever business handles closings in TX. In buying 5 houses and
selling 4 of them I have been present at perhaps half of the closings.

Rest were by fax or overnight letter.

Also, has anyone had any experiences with company relocation
assistance? What can I expect ( I am a senior software engineer)? Do
they usually pay some or all of the realtor cost?

Can vary all over the map. Ask them.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

I am in FL. We bought this house from a couple who lived in NY and it
was all handled by fax or mail (they were not at the closing) anyway.

We did not move until our house back in GA had sold because the market
was really dead at the time. I am glad we had a chance to look around
before buying. I highly recommend renting for awhile before you
buy....there are so many things to consider that you can't find out
about until you actually live there for awhile.

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article . com,
Dan wrote:
[...]

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Cuprager UK diy 0 April 21st 05 04:58 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 04:35 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM