Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Getting a property evaluated?

Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

any info would be much appreciated.

thx
john

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Be more specific as to what you would be buying the property for and what
you would want to know about the property (land).

Is it for a long term investment?

Someplace to live?

Rental?

Farming?

Future development? Build houses? Apartments?

Etc.

"john" wrote in message
Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real
Estate agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that
can evaluate a property.

any info would be much appreciated.

thx
john

Posted to misc.consumers.house

The appraiser will include an evalution of the land in his appraisal.
It will actually show a value of the land and the house separated in
the cost approach section. If you need a good appraiser, let me know
and I'll recommend one for you.

john wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

any info would be much appreciated.

thx
john

Posted to misc.consumers.house

john wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

any info would be much appreciated.

thx
john

zillow.com

Type in the address in question and it will show you the tax assessment
value broken down into the value of the building and the land, as well
as the value of neighboring properties.

-Karen-
Posted to misc.consumers.house

dkhedmo wrote:
john wrote:
Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

any info would be much appreciated.

thx
john

zillow.com

Type in the address in question and it will show you the tax assessment
value broken down into the value of the building and the land, as well
as the value of neighboring properties.

-Karen-

The assessed value for taxes and the current market value can differ by
a huge amount. For a property to be worth 50% more than it's assessed
for is not unusual here on the east coast, where values have sky
rocketed. The only way to know for sure is to either lookup recent
comparable sales yourself or hire an appraiser.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

For a property to be worth 50% more than it's assessed
for is not unusual here on the east coast, where values have sky
rocketed. The only way to know for sure is to either lookup recent
comparable sales yourself or hire an appraiser.

Your not kidding.. Even 100% or 2 x's here in the poconos area. (monroe
county)

I have a question about that zillow site. I see some houses just have the
"total assessed value" and others have the "total assessed value" & "market
assessed value".... How could I can get the "market assessed value" on my
home? I have to contact some appraiser or something?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"john" wrote:

Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

As rule of thumbs go, that one is not very useful. How large is the lot? Where
is it located? Does it have a view? Is it in a subdivision? Is it zoned or are
the neighbors raising goats? Are there city water and sewer available? etc.,
etc., etc...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
John A. Weeks III wrote:

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

This is going to vary wildly by location and is going to be quite wrong
in places where land is highly valued (e.g. almost all of California
within 50 miles of the coast).

However, it is not a bad guideline when evaluating new construction,
even in California. I read about a Malibu lot selling for $1 million
onto which a $4 million house was being built. This is likely because,
except for the richest of citizens, most people would prefer to spend
more of their money on the house and less on the lot. However, for
existing houses the prices can get totally out of whack as the number of
available quality lots becomes fewer.

An 800 square foot house near me sold for $350K a few years ago. It was
promptly knocked down and a house was built for about $400K on the lot.
The total value of that house is now probably $1M. However, that
800 square foot house was obviously worth only a fraction of the value
of the land it sat on at the time it was sold. That's probably true of
all the existing houses on my street. If a fire raged through and destroyed all
the nearby housing, it would actually be a financial boon to most of the
existing owners.

That actually happened to a coworker, whose house was the only one on his
entire street to survive a brush fire (because of his judicious
clearing of brush) in a nice canyon area in the hills. Every new house
built since the fire has been bigger and more luxurious than what existed,
driving the value of his older house through the roof, primarily based
on the land value as his house is now surrounded by mansions. If he
decided to sell, his house would probably see the wrecking ball.

In short, I wouldn't call John's guesstimate all that useful.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

As rule of thumbs go, that one is not very useful. How large is the lot? Where
is it located? Does it have a view? Is it in a subdivision? Is it zoned or are
the neighbors raising goats? Are there city water and sewer available? etc.,
etc., etc...

The original poster didn't give any of that info, so about all one
do is quote the general rule of thumb. Maybe that doesn't work well
where you are from, but in my neck of the woods, it is spot on most
of the time. Then again, the original poster didn't give a location,
either.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:07:56 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

In article ,
"john" wrote:

Can someone tell me the best way to get a property evaluated? (not the
house..just the property) It always seems like an issue that the Real Estate
agents never want to bring up.. And I dont know who to contact that can
evaluate a property.

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

-john-

Actually more like 15 to 20% for typical residential lots but the OP
didn't give the location or type of land so who really knows???

// doug //
website: MyHomeRebate.com
"Buy New Homes for Less in Texas"
Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:07:56 -0500, someone wrote:

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

-john-

So what. What good are averages. That's not really what he asked,
and furthermore the individual variation can be so huge as not to be
useful for any particular case. Some properties are "teardowns" where
the value of the vacant land is 100% (or more) of the value with the
(usually little old) house on it.

And sometimes, like in the rural area where I live where land is (or
at least WAS) plentiful, the land value can be 10% or less as people
buy relatively cheap former field or forest tracts, and then build
(relatively) expensive homes on them.

The quality of your posts has really gone down, if it was ever
competent to begin with.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
(v) wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:07:56 -0500, someone wrote:

If it is normal residential property, the land is normally about 20%
of the value of the house and land together. So, if your house is
worth $100,000 on the market, then the land is worth about $20,000.

-john-

So what. What good are averages. That's not really what he asked,
and furthermore the individual variation can be so huge as not to be
useful for any particular case. Some properties are "teardowns" where
the value of the vacant land is 100% (or more) of the value with the
(usually little old) house on it.

And sometimes, like in the rural area where I live where land is (or
at least WAS) plentiful, the land value can be 10% or less as people
buy relatively cheap former field or forest tracts, and then build
(relatively) expensive homes on them.

Did you even read the original posting? There was virtually
no information what-so-ever, other than that there was some
kind of house. I replied using a standard rule of thumb that
is widely known in the industry, and a qualified it with the
phrase "if it is a normal residential property". I think
that is about all the original poster could expect from USENET
with the information that was given, and I don't see how you
could have a problem with that. The only assumption is that
you either didn't read either the original posting or my
reply, or you have a bug up your butt today.

The quality of your posts has really gone down, if it was ever
competent to begin with.

You are free to read or not read what ever you choose. If you
are going to be an a** about it, I just as soon you go read
somewhere else.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications