Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Default your feedback on DIY security alarm system

Hi,

One question about Elk M1EZ8 though. If any of the wired connections get
disconnected or if the PSTN wired is cut off from the control unit does
the device set off an alarm in another way (like triggering the siren
through the speakers)? If the PSTN wire is cut off how can the alarm
system notify the owner? Can we run some software elsewhere on the
internet and keep poking the control unit to see if it is reachable or
something like that? I am just thinking about the extreme conditions
where the burglar might cut off the PSTN or the magnetic sensor wires
before breaking in.

Thanks.

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great site to
review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms
IVB IVB is offline

Variety of ways of dealing with this, ask over on cocoontech.com, there's a
TON of Elk users there.

Ways that i've heard&remember:
- CAT5 in the same conduit as the telephone, terminated at one end and setup
as a N/C circuit, which if cut activates an alarm
- cellular backup if above or other issues occur
- use the automation capabilities to blast speakers/siren/lights at the
point of intrusion to deter the thief before he enters

others are doing some neat stuff, don't remember it though.

Note: I am a mere end-user with no financial stake in any products that I
may discuss.

My Personal Website w/my Home Automation PC:
http://www.myhomeautomationpc.com, last updated 4/11

My Home Automation Blog: http://homeautomation.wordpress.com/

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great site
to review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

I believe most if not all current alarm panels can detect if the phone
line is cut.

The mighty M1 from Elk surely can, and does!

I use an M1 Gold myself. Spend the extra money - go for the gold!

Most alarm systems have the phone wired such that the home's incoming
PSTN wires loop through the alarm panel, THEN back out to the house. As
such if the phone is in use, the alarm can still take control and dial
out - as needed. This also prevents the intruder from interrupting the
call out by picking up a phone within the house, etc.

The alarm will monitor the PSTN... This is a low level feature.

On a higher level the M1 is an automation controller. You program it
with "Rules" with just about ANY desired result.

So for example you might write a rule like this one:

WHENEVER TelephoneTamper becomes Active
AND Alarm is NOT Armed
THEN Speak "Warning: Telephone is disabled"
THEN send e-mail message #2
Then...

The AND statement shown isn't needed, of course. But I show you to
illustrate the kind of control you have. M1 knows if it is Dark or Light
outside, and that might make a difference to you...

You can have multiple Rules for any given situation. So if the alarm was
armed, in Away-mode, and the PSTN goes away, you might choose to
activate the siren(s) and flash the lights, etc.

You can control the action(s) easily. The ElkRP software works very
well. Use it to program the M1 with your PC via serial, or even modem.

Add the Ethernet option to the Elk, and you can communicate with the M1
over your LAN or over the Internet! And the M1 can send e-mails, etc.

ElkRM software is a cool option, and I love it! I use it on a wireless
PDA to monitor and control the M1. It also allows M1 controlled things
like lights and thermostat to be controlled by my hand-held device
wirelessly.

I use MisterHouse software, and I've interfaced it with the Elk M1 too.
I have MH send messages to the M1 over the LAN, and I've written Rules
to deal with them. For example I use MH to do a CallerID lookup. Each
database entry has a category (vendor, family, friend, etc.) associated
with it. So if it is a friend, the word "Friend" - when received by the
M1 on it's ethernet port, will trigger it to speak a pre-defined
message! Same thing as when my mailbox is opened: A wireless signal
received my MH results in M1 telling the home's occupants verbally.

If you want it ALL, and you know the extra $$$ spent divided by the
number of years of service you'll get out of it (not to mention the
improved functionality) make it an easy choice...

You want the Elk M1 Gold.

Now go shopping!

;-)

Jack

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great
site to review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I will go for the M1 Gold. I was
also thinking about the following in the alarm system to trigger alarms
(something similar to peer-peer software).

When the alarm in one house goes off it should send a signal it's peer
which is nearest to it (probably the neighbour's security system). In
this case even if the PSTN line or the iternet line is cut off we can at
least warn our helpful/watchful neighbours for a quick response. In this
collaborative way we can make the alarm system more secure and tamper
proof. And our neighbour's alarm system can do the same thing. I don't
know if such a system already exists. But if it does not do you think I
can patent this technology ;-)?

Now off to froogling for the M1 Gold .

Thanks.

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great
site to review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

aerosmith wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed info. I think I will go for the M1 Gold. I was
also thinking about the following in the alarm system to trigger alarms
(something similar to peer-peer software).

When the alarm in one house goes off it should send a signal it's peer
which is nearest to it (probably the neighbour's security system). In
this case even if the PSTN line or the iternet line is cut off we can at
least warn our helpful/watchful neighbours for a quick response. In this
collaborative way we can make the alarm system more secure and tamper
proof. And our neighbour's alarm system can do the same thing. I don't
know if such a system already exists. But if it does not do you think I
can patent this technology ;-)?

Now off to froogling for the M1 Gold .

Thanks.

There are a number of online stores that will cater to your specific
requirements. Some links he

http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/buyingonline.htm

Also:

http://www.smarthome.com
http://www.norcoalarms.com
http://www.wmballen.com
http://www.worthdist.com

Good luck!!

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

"Frank Olson" wrote in message
aerosmith wrote:
[...]

YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK HERE http://www.alarmsuperstore.com/elk/main/m1pak.htm

I BELEIVE OLSON GETS A LITTLE KICKBACK FROM THE ABOVE. EVEN THOUGH HE NEVER
PURCHASED A SINGLE SCREW FROM ANY OF THEM

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Group-Moderator wrote:

snip

I BELEIVE OLSON GETS A LITTLE KICKBACK FROM THE ABOVE.

Heh... I wish!!!

EVEN THOUGH HE NEVER
PURCHASED A SINGLE SCREW FROM ANY OF THEM

And why would I?? :-)
Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

aerosmith wrote:
[...]

How much do they pay him for posting the links? Is it per click or per
post?

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

"Frank Olson" wrote in message
Group-Moderator wrote:

snip

I BELEIVE OLSON GETS A LITTLE KICKBACK FROM THE ABOVE.

Heh... I wish!!!

EVEN THOUGH HE NEVER PURCHASED A SINGLE SCREW FROM ANY OF THEM

And why would I?? :-)

Then why write " There are a number of online stores that will cater to your
specific requirements." If you never purchased anything from them how do
you know what they will do. If you had NO-NON-NILL experience shopping there
I think you should not comment either way. But then again you love to run
your mouth before your brain is engaged, After all you done it since you
trolled in here, WHY STOP NOW.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Group-Moderator wrote:

Then why write " There are a number of online stores that will cater to your
specific requirements."

Because they do. Click on the URLs, dummy! (You're just ticked because
I don't include a link to alarmstuporstore.)

If you never purchased anything from them how do
you know what they will do.

Heh... The same way I know you don't sell/service "strap-ons"??

If you had NO-NON-NILL experience shopping there
I think you should not comment either way.

I do have "experience shopping" both "online" and at Walmart. I figure
I know a "good deal" when I see one.

But then again you love to run
your mouth before your brain is engaged, After all you done it since you
trolled in here, WHY STOP NOW.

And you've been going on "ad nauseum" about how "Bass is on his last
legs", his online stores "are history", and how much better off the
DIY'er would be if he bought from alarmstuporstore rather than
bassbungleralarms... Yeah... we've heard it all Mikey... Why not put
up a few more bogus links at goofysplace to help all those "search bots"
along?

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Group-Moderator wrote:

[...]

AND YOU JUST LOVE RLB......WHERE IS YOUR ONLINE STORE MOUTH

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Group-Moderator wrote:

AND YOU JUST LOVE RLB......WHERE IS YOUR ONLINE STORE MOUTH

Where-as you simply resort to more insults... You're nothing more than
a cowardly little twerp. Go "play" some more on goofysplace. That's
much more "your speed".
Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms
Jim Jim is offline

Frank Olson wrote:
Group-Moderator wrote:

AND YOU JUST LOVE RLB......WHERE IS YOUR ONLINE STORE MOUTH

Where-as you simply resort to more insults... You're nothing more than
a cowardly little twerp. Go "play" some more on goofysplace. That's
much more "your speed".

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Group-Moderator wrote:

AND YOU JUST LOVE RLB......WHERE IS YOUR ONLINE STORE MOUTH

Where-as you simply resort to more insults... You're nothing more than a
cowardly little twerp. Go "play" some more on goofysplace. That's much
more "your speed".

HMMM.. http://www.goofysplace.com states that you are the webmaster
Here is you speed http://www.gdd.net/bkholiday/index.php

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

And man, oh *man*, it's a real thrill bein' a Grandpa!! My son's wife
gave birth to beautiful baby boy this morning, August 16. He looks just
like Winston Churchill. :-)

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Frank Olson wrote:
Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

And man, oh *man*, it's a real thrill bein' a Grandpa!! My son's wife
gave birth to beautiful baby boy this morning, August 16. He looks just
like Winston Churchill. :-)

Congrats on becoming a grandpa, Franklin.
How much does the little guy weigh?

Expect a PR announcing bAssburgers.com now selling DIY diapers (self
downloading)

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

I think he was talking about the "cowardly little twerp" part

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Everywhere Man wrote:

Congrats on becoming a grandpa, Franklin.
How much does the little guy weigh?

6 lbs. 11 oz.

Expect a PR announcing bAssburgers.com now selling DIY diapers (self
downloading)

Kewl. Do they come in different colors (to match all the outfits his
shop-a-holic Grandma's buyin')?? :-)
Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Congrats to you! And your son,and his wife!

I know the feeling,been a grandpa for 3 year now.....

I hope the mother is well...and that the father didn't faint during the
birth process...LOL

"Frank Olson" a écrit dans le
message de news: SDSEg.412572$Mn5.27962@pd7tw3no...
Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

And man, oh *man*, it's a real thrill bein' a Grandpa!! My son's wife
gave birth to beautiful baby boy this morning, August 16. He looks just
like Winston Churchill. :-)

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms
IVB IVB is offline

Well, if we're done with all the bashing (and why do I doubt that), I
actually purchased mine from http://www.tech-home.com/ . Not only is Brian
the owner awesome, you can contact him directly on cocoontech.com. The Elk
head engineer also checks that forum regularly. Look here for the
marketplace section: http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showforum=36 .

Also check the main forums for dozens of posts about the Elk.

ink.net...

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great site
to review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Congrats.
--

Frank Olson wrote:

Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

And man, oh man, it's a real thrill bein' a Grandpa!! My son's wife gave birth to beautiful baby boy this morning, August 16. He looks just like Winston Churchill. :-)

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Petem wrote:
Congrats to you! And your son,and his wife!

Thanks Pete!

I know the feeling,been a grandpa for 3 year now.....

I'd been looking forward to it actually (although I still figure he
could've waited a coupla years... :-)

I hope the mother is well...and that the father didn't faint during the
birth process...LOL

Actually he was too busy to even think about fainting (they even let him
cut the umbilical cord)... It wasn't until the orderly was cleaning up
the mess that he realized: "Gosh, Dad, there was a whole lot of
blood!!" and started feeling a little sick...
Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Mark Leuck wrote:

I think he was talking about the "cowardly little twerp" part

Heh... maybe...
Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms
Jim Jim is offline

Frank Olson wrote:
Jim wrote:

Careful Frank .......... your hypocrisy is showing.

I have no idea what you're rambling on about, Gramps...

And man, oh *man*, it's a real thrill bein' a Grandpa!! My son's wife
gave birth to beautiful baby boy this morning, August 16. He looks just
like Winston Churchill. :-)

I hope you don't mean he's wearing a Bowler hat and smokes a cigar!

Maybe his first words will be:
dit dit dit .... dahhh.

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

Congrats Frank......and to the rest of the family.

Norm Mugford

Petem wrote:
Congrats to you! And your son,and his wife!

Thanks Pete!

I know the feeling,been a grandpa for 3 year now.....

I'd been looking forward to it actually (although I still figure he
could've waited a coupla years... :-)

I hope the mother is well...and that the father didn't faint during the
birth process...LOL

Actually he was too busy to even think about fainting (they even let him
cut the umbilical cord)... It wasn't until the orderly was cleaning up
the mess that he realized: "Gosh, Dad, there was a whole lot of blood!!"
and started feeling a little sick...

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms

"Norm Mugford" wrote in message
.. .
Congrats Frank......and to the rest of the family.

Norm Mugford

"Frank Olson" wrote in
message news:3rbFg.429469$IK3.356657@pd7tw1no...
Petem wrote:
Congrats to you! And your son,and his wife!

Thanks Pete!

They saying goes for every birth there is a death. Can you say R_B