Posted to alt.home.automation,misc.consumers.house,alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms
IVB IVB is offline

Default your feedback on DIY security alarm system

Variety of ways of dealing with this, ask over on cocoontech.com, there's a
TON of Elk users there.

Ways that i've heard&remember:
- CAT5 in the same conduit as the telephone, terminated at one end and setup
as a N/C circuit, which if cut activates an alarm
- cellular backup if above or other issues occur
- use the automation capabilities to blast speakers/siren/lights at the
point of intrusion to deter the thief before he enters

others are doing some neat stuff, don't remember it though.

Note: I am a mere end-user with no financial stake in any products that I
may discuss.

My Personal Website w/my Home Automation PC:
http://www.myhomeautomationpc.com, last updated 4/11

My Home Automation Blog: http://homeautomation.wordpress.com/
"aerosmith" wrote in message
Hi,

One question about Elk M1EZ8 though. If any of the wired connections get
disconnected or if the PSTN wired is cut off from the control unit does
the device set off an alarm in another way (like triggering the siren
through the speakers)? If the PSTN wire is cut off how can the alarm
system notify the owner? Can we run some software elsewhere on the
internet and keep poking the control unit to see if it is reachable or
something like that? I am just thinking about the extreme conditions where
the burglar might cut off the PSTN or the magnetic sensor wires before
breaking in.

Thanks.

On 8/8/2006 10:07 PM, IVB wrote:
add the Elk M1EZ8 to your list of panels to check out. For a great site
to review the Elk, check out www.cocoontech.com

I use the Elk M1 Gold. See my site below for the GUI software I use to
manage it.