Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Kitchen sink choices

Hi - I'm having a granite countertop installed and am unsure about what
sink to buy. I have 2 bowl stainless steel which I like; my instinct
is to buy a new one similar to that (undermount, though). My husband
like the Pegasus granite composite sink in black. I know from
experience that the stainless is quite satisfactory for me...
indestructible, cleans up well, etc. Anyone have experience with a
dark colored granite composite sink? Thoughts? I am especially
interested in whether it needs any special care or consideration, and
whether hard water would be a problem. Thanks for any input.

Kate

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Kate" writes:

Hi - I'm having a granite countertop installed and am unsure about what
sink to buy. I have 2 bowl stainless steel which I like; my instinct
is to buy a new one similar to that (undermount, though). My husband
like the Pegasus granite composite sink in black. I know from
experience that the stainless is quite satisfactory for me...
indestructible, cleans up well, etc. Anyone have experience with a
dark colored granite composite sink? Thoughts?

No experience, but I went stainless because it's got a long history of
reliable use, never been a problem for me, and it's a bonus that it's
currently in style.

Dark granite composite... I'm not sure it'll remain in style until
when you decide to sell your home.

As for the functional concerns, I'll defer to those who actually
have/use em.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Kate" wrote in news:1154440170.080892.143800
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hi - I'm having a granite countertop installed and am unsure about what
sink to buy. I have 2 bowl stainless steel which I like; my instinct
is to buy a new one similar to that (undermount, though). My husband
like the Pegasus granite composite sink in black. I know from
experience that the stainless is quite satisfactory for me...
indestructible, cleans up well, etc. Anyone have experience with a
dark colored granite composite sink? Thoughts? I am especially
interested in whether it needs any special care or consideration, and
whether hard water would be a problem.

We have the Blanco SilGranit sink (in black), and it has been wonderful.
It's about a year old, and we have not been able to stain it with anything,
it cleans up easily, and it's far quieter than our previous stainless steel
sink. Nothing but positive reviews from me.

--
Murray Peterson
Email:
Posted to misc.consumers.house
jim jim is offline

Murray Peterson wrote:
"Kate" wrote in news:1154440170.080892.143800
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
The granite sinks are great as long as you stay with the brand names Blanco, Kindred go for it, as the previose reply said they are good also deal with a big store as they will also stand behind what they sold
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Kate wrote:
: Hi - I'm having a granite countertop installed and am unsure about what
: sink to buy.

Similar question:

I'm thinking about Silestone (or similar) counters. A stainless sink
appeals to me because it is tried and true technology, and it
definitely won't crack. Dent maybe, but not crack. But, I'd like to
avoid the joint between the sink and the counter that collects mildew
and needs to be scrubbed out with a toothbrush.

A Silestone sink appeals because it would be continuous with the
counter; no joint to collect mildew. But I'm concerned that it would
crack, for instance if someone dropped a large pot full of water into
it (fill the pot, lift the pot, oops! crack).

I'd appreciate any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions.

Thanks,

--- Chip
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Charles H. Buchholtz" wrote...
Kate wrote:
: Hi - I'm having a granite countertop installed and am unsure about what
: sink to buy.

Similar question:

I'm thinking about Silestone (or similar) counters. A stainless sink
appeals to me because it is tried and true technology, and it
definitely won't crack. Dent maybe, but not crack. But, I'd like to
avoid the joint between the sink and the counter that collects mildew
and needs to be scrubbed out with a toothbrush.

It's a personal decision...

We just had granite counters put in, and went with a white enamel over cast iron
sink. IMO, they're the best looking and most functional.

The joint is easy. For the sink I simply put in a bead of white silicone. For
the SS stovetop I used clear silicone -- can't see it from a foot away! The new
kitchen caulks have anti-mildew additives, so they're easier to keep clean.