Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
willydog

Default Ended up buying my roomie's condo. Should I compensate buyer's agent?

I'm looking for ettiquitte here. I had two deals fall through while I
was with her, and she put a good chunk of time in showing me maybe 50
places or so. She did not charge me a retainer.

I ended up buying my roomie's place that I wasn't interested in
originally. This is a private transaction.

What would be good ettiquite to compensate the buyer broker? And, if I
do compensate the broker something, is there a way to price it into the
house as "consulting" costs?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"willydog" writes:
I'm looking for ettiquitte here. I had two deals fall through while I
was with her, and she put a good chunk of time in showing me maybe 50
places or so. She did not charge me a retainer.

I ended up buying my roomie's place that I wasn't interested in
originally. This is a private transaction.

What would be good ettiquite to compensate the buyer broker? And, if I
do compensate the broker something, is there a way to price it into the
house as "consulting" costs?

Kudos to you for thinking in terms of the time you've taken from the
Realtor. And I think it would have been unethical and perhaps illegal
for her to charge you a retainer, well, in my state anyway.

Getting something rolled into your transaction might be tricky. The
mortgage company will wonder what this odd expense is that they're
lending money for yet isn't required by the transaction. You could
ask your real estate attorney about it though, or your financing
person. Hopefully with the private transaction you're using both.

Realtors have this sort of stuff happen quite a bit as part of the way
the business works, but I totally understand you wanting to compensate
the person for so much time. I'm not sure though, whether realtors
can even accept such well meaning sums of money though without running
afoul of ethics? I'm not sure.

You can repay your perceived debt in referrals to her though, gift
card, or things like that. If she's a long horizon thinker, she
won't look at is as "gee I wasted 50 hours last month that paid me
nothing" and more as "this guy will seek me out for his next
transaction, and be likely to tell his friends how well I took care of
him." Though I'm sure any token you can send her way to acknowledge
that you feel bad for taking up so much time that she didn't get
compensated for would be refreshing.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
D. Gerasimatos

In article .com,
willydog wrote:

I'm looking for ettiquitte here. I had two deals fall through while I
was with her, and she put a good chunk of time in showing me maybe 50
places or so. She did not charge me a retainer.

I ended up buying my roomie's place that I wasn't interested in
originally. This is a private transaction.

What would be good ettiquite to compensate the buyer broker? And, if I
do compensate the broker something, is there a way to price it into the
house as "consulting" costs?

Proper etiquette is to have her represent you on the transaction and
have the seller pay her fee.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house
sylvan butler

On 25 May 2006 14:39:02 -0700, willydog wrote:
was with her, and she put a good chunk of time in showing me maybe 50

I ended up buying my roomie's place that I wasn't interested in
originally. This is a private transaction.

What would be good ettiquite to compensate the buyer broker? And, if I

Were you under contract with her at the time you purchased the condo?
If so, then you likely legally owe her something, depending on the terms
of the contract.

If no contract, a gift (eg, $50-100 gift card for dinner) and a nice
note with a "sorry it didn't work out" and expressing appreciation plus
a promise of referrals would probably be appreciated. Then keep that
promise!

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com