Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Water Heater Breakdown in New Condo Bldg

Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

We just moved into our dc condo last september and the water heater is
dead now. We are the 2nd owners of this new building. The condos in
our building were built in 2003.

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

Thanks so much for your help!

John

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
wrote:

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Today's typical low cost water heater lasts about 7 years. You
are a bit on the short end, but you make up for the people that
get 10 or 12 years out a unit. If you have some funny type of
water, and don't have it treated, it could be that the water
caused it to rot out.

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

If the water heater is shared, then it is likely a common item
that the association takes care of. If it is just for you, and
in your unit, then it is your baby.

The one thing that I suggest is look into electric storage water
heaters. They heat at night with cheap off-peak power, then the
heavy insulation around them keeps the water warm all day. They
are much better built. Some power companies are offering deals
on them.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

We just moved into our dc condo last september and the water heater is
dead now. We are the 2nd owners of this new building. The condos in
our building were built in 2003.

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

Thanks so much for your help!

?????
Fan/engine? Is this the heater for household water, or some sort of heating
boiler? If for household water, is there some sort of recirc pump to for
instant-on hot water? Not real clear from this end what you are talking
about. Describe the device in question, please. Is it a big cylinder,
usually white, with a gas line running to the bottom?

Like the other guy said, if it serves more than one unit, it is the
association's problem. If it is a typical 40 or 50 gallon unit in a closet
within your condo, it is your problem. Low end, 300-500 to replace,
including labor. From your description, you do not have the skill set to
change it, and will need a real plumber for the work. Even if you had the
skills, many areas require a licensed plumber to crack the seals on any gas
lines.

aem sends...