Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mark Atanovich

Default Paypack of new windows

Howdy,
I'm in AZ and for a couple reasons am considering new windows for several
reasons (I currently have aluminum single pane that are 32 years old): 1)
energy efficiency, 2) comfort near windows, 3) ease of cleaning and 4)
resale value. I know I'll get 2 and 3. On #1 I used a program developed
for the DOE to estimate my energy savings:
windows.lbl.gov/software/resfen/resfen.html. I cannot justify the purchase
based on the first 3. I have couple friends in real estate (appraiser and
mortgage broker) who tell me that new windows will add little or no resale
value. What's your experience?

Thx,
Mark

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

The way I look at it, I will pay just about anything to reduce my regular
monthly bills. This lowers my cost of living and in the long run gives me
more spending money each month. I have been doing this for quite some time
and have a very low cost of living. My electric bill was $32 last month.

And when you have lower bills, then extra cash, you can use that money to
make improvements which will reduce your costs further.

So if you are going to live there for the rest of your life, I would suggest
getting double pane "Energy Star" windows.

And as you have the money, have the house sealed to remove air leaks. Add
extra insulation. For AZ; have a roof installed which reflects the heat.
Maybe plant some shade trees which do not need to be watered.

Then new appliances will use a lot less energy than older models. New
"Energy Star" washing machine, refrigerator, air conditioners (get a window
model and just cool one room at night), etc.

Then there is solar water heating and solar electic.

Energy prices are not going down. Might want to consider your future. Years
from now would you prefer a high electric bill or a lower electric bill?

"Energy Star" web site...
http://www.energystar.gov

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Ownership 8 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM