Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
idiotprogrammer

Default recommend locks/protection for apartment security?

I was robbed at gunpoint at an apartment complex.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective measures for preventing burglaries?

How expensive is a deadbolt?
What kind of lock is best?

I'm hesitant to name a maximum price to spend, although I'd be hard
pressed to spend over $200.

Also, if they can break through the window, can't they unlock the doors
from the inside?

Here's a good article I found on apartment security, with admittedly
scanty detail about how much these ideas actually cost consumers.

Robert nagle
Houston, Texas

(Read some more of my thoughts about robbery/security here
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblo...rammer/?cat=39 )

Posted to misc.consumers.house
idiotprogrammer

Here are the articles:

http://www.crimedoctor.com/apartmen3.htm
http://www.crimedoctor.com/apartment0.htm

(forgot to include).

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

You need to give more details about what happened. Depending on the specific
situation, there are many different things which can be done.

Are you the apartment manager? Or just a tenant in an apartment there? (Are
you free to make modifications to the locks/building or need to get
permission?)

Do you own the building or just work there as a manager? (Do you decide how
much money can be spent on security?)

What did they take? Cash? Was there a lot of cash? Did other people know you
had cash there?

How did they gain access? Pick lock? break in through window? Knock on door
and you let them in?

Etc.

The more detail you give about what actually happened, what they took, etc.,
then the better suggestions you will get for protecting yourself and
preventing this in the future.

For example: If you are the manager and had a lot of cash there, and
everyone knew this, then a "no cash" policy can fix this. Only accept checks
or money orders for rent. Never accept cash. Post signs saying no cash kept
on premises.

"idiotprogrammer" wrote in message
I was robbed at gunpoint at an apartment complex.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective measures for preventing burglaries?

How expensive is a deadbolt?
What kind of lock is best?

I'm hesitant to name a maximum price to spend, although I'd be hard
pressed to spend over $200.

Also, if they can break through the window, can't they unlock the doors
from the inside?

Here's a good article I found on apartment security, with admittedly
scanty detail about how much these ideas actually cost consumers.

Robert nagle
Houston, Texas

(Read some more of my thoughts about robbery/security here
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblo...rammer/?cat=39 )

Posted to misc.consumers.house

also check to see if there's a trap door to get into the attic - cause
if you have one, your neighbor does too and can get into your apt.