Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap

Default lighting for bedroom?

Hello,
We have a bedroom with a celing fan fixture, but the
ceiling lights were removed from the fixture by the previous
owner. Thus, the room is poorly lit and has no overhead lighting.

Currently, there is a lamp, but it's not illuminating the whole
room.

Are there any floor lamps on the market that do a good
job at illuminating the room? Looking for something under
$70.

Thanks for any advice!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"ap" writes:
Are there any floor lamps on the market that do a good
job at illuminating the room? Looking for something under
$70.

Try a 300W halogen torchiere in a corner. If you have light walls and
a white ceiling, it really brightens up the joint with indirect
lighting. These are tall lamps that are floor standing and about 6'
tall. They should meet your budget easily. I'm not sure where the
best place to get em would be, but I'd bet that WalMarts and Targets
of the world would be a good place to start.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Try a 300W halogen torchiere in a corner."

I use two of them in my bedroom. Not sure of the wattage, more likely
200W or so. They have dimmers so it's easy to control the light that
you want.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Try a 300W halogen torchiere in a corner."

I use two of them in my bedroom. Not sure of the wattage, more likely
200W or so. They have dimmers so it's easy to control the light that
you want.

Keep a close eye on those if you use the dimmers- feel the pipe around the
switch every hour or two, and never leave them untended or go to sleep with
them on. I've rescued at least a dozen where the dimmer killed itself due to
overheating, usually with obvious scorch marks. Replaced the dimmers with
simple on-off rotaries, and put the lamps back in service in various houses.

IMHO, that cheap resister-pack dimmer is as much of a fire hazard as the
bulb up top. Besides, I hate how the dimmer buzzes other than at full
brightness.

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Keith

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:36:03 +0000, ameijers wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Try a 300W halogen torchiere in a corner."

I use two of them in my bedroom. Not sure of the wattage, more likely
200W or so. They have dimmers so it's easy to control the light that
you want.

Keep a close eye on those if you use the dimmers- feel the pipe around the
switch every hour or two, and never leave them untended or go to sleep with
them on. I've rescued at least a dozen where the dimmer killed itself due to
overheating, usually with obvious scorch marks. Replaced the dimmers with
simple on-off rotaries, and put the lamps back in service in various houses.

IMHO, that cheap resister-pack dimmer is as much of a fire hazard as the
bulb up top. Besides, I hate how the dimmer buzzes other than at full
brightness.

Resistor pack? Shirley you jest! The resistor would have to be larger
than the lamp.

--
Keith

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Keith" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:36:03 +0000, ameijers wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mebbe that is why the things cook themselves? No mass to act as a heat sink?
I'm no electronics expert- what would you call a black rectangular thing
hung off the switch body, extending down into the tube of the lamp base? The
simple on-off rotary didn't have anything like that on it. The brown paper
wrapped around it is invariably scorched, and the wires leading into the
switch are plainly heat-damaged. I just cut the whole mess out of there,
back to undamaged wire, and put in a simple on-off rotary.

And don't call me Shirley.

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig

"Todd H." wrote...

"ap" writes:

Are there any floor lamps on the market that do a good
job at illuminating the room? Looking for something under
$70.

Try a 300W halogen torchiere in a corner. If you have light walls and
a white ceiling, it really brightens up the joint with indirect
lighting. These are tall lamps that are floor standing and about 6'
tall. They should meet your budget easily. I'm not sure where the
best place to get em would be, but I'd bet that WalMarts and Targets
of the world would be a good place to start.

If you go this way, ap, just be sure that they've got their guards
installed and you keep them away from drapes or other potentially flammable
materials. Personally, I've converted as many of my frequently-used lights
to compact fluorescents to help a tiny bit in protecting the environment and
a bit more in savings on my utility bills.

I've seen compact fluorescents from 7 to 42 watts and in both cool-white
and natural (warmer) lighting. The 42w CF gives the light equivalent to
about a 150w incandescent bulb and lasts much longer. Most CF bulbs now can
be found configured in a way to be able to be used in existing lamps. I've
found that Home Depot seems to have the best selection (at least in my city
of 60k folks) of these energy saving lights, even to spot/flood lamp styles
and globe styles, etc.

Craig

Flagstaff AZ, an International Dark Sky City

http://www.lowell.edu/online_newslet...pollution.html

Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
We have a bedroom with a celing fan fixture, but the
ceiling lights were removed from the fixture by the previous
owner. Thus, the room is poorly lit and has no overhead lighting.

Currently, there is a lamp, but it's not illuminating the whole
room.

Are there any floor lamps on the market that do a good
job at illuminating the room? Looking for something under
$70.

Thanks for any advice!

How about a dimmable torchiere? Nice indirect light, no noise, adjustable
light output and no glare. Look for the fluorescent type with a "warm"
color lamp. I think Good Earth, among others, makes them.

The incandescent and halogen-incandescent torchiers are much less efficient
and very hot plus, for safety and energy reasons, they are now limited to
190 watts.

Here's one that meets your requirements:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...25_175_519_337

TKM

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Cheaper would be to go to your local hardware store and buy a light kit
for ceiling fans.