Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

Default strange smell from dryer

Our Frigidaire Gallery gas dryer, made in 2003, just started
exhibiting a weird smell that seems petroleum-based, not quite
burning. Or alcohol based. I really can't describe the smell as it's
unlike anything I've ever smelled before, but it smells like a
chemical of some kind and does not smell like the additive put in the
natural gas supplied to this house.

This happens when the dryer is running. There seems to be no blockage
of the lint trap or the exhaust pipes. The dryer dries just fine. What
could be causing this smell?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Rocinante

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:11:11 GMT, KLS wrote:

Our Frigidaire Gallery gas dryer, made in 2003, just started
exhibiting a weird smell that seems petroleum-based, not quite
burning. Or alcohol based. I really can't describe the smell as it's
unlike anything I've ever smelled before, but it smells like a
chemical of some kind and does not smell like the additive put in the
natural gas supplied to this house.

This happens when the dryer is running. There seems to be no blockage
of the lint trap or the exhaust pipes. The dryer dries just fine. What
could be causing this smell?

Don't put soaking wet clothes in the dryer. You are forcing the dryer to
work extra hard to dry the clothes. Hence, the weird smell from the
steaming clothes. The spin cycle on your washer should have removed much of
the water from the clothing. You might have a problem there.

--
Deja Vu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the
head like this before.

1/9/2006 9:16:51 PM
Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:20:56 -0500, Rocinante
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:11:11 GMT, KLS wrote:

Our Frigidaire Gallery gas dryer, made in 2003, just started
exhibiting a weird smell that seems petroleum-based, not quite
burning. Or alcohol based. I really can't describe the smell as it's
unlike anything I've ever smelled before, but it smells like a
chemical of some kind and does not smell like the additive put in the
natural gas supplied to this house.

This happens when the dryer is running. There seems to be no blockage
of the lint trap or the exhaust pipes. The dryer dries just fine. What
could be causing this smell?

Don't put soaking wet clothes in the dryer. You are forcing the dryer to
work extra hard to dry the clothes. Hence, the weird smell from the
steaming clothes. The spin cycle on your washer should have removed much of
the water from the clothing. You might have a problem there.

The clothes aren't soaking wet; they're actually pretty well wrung out
by the front loader. I'll try drying fewer clothes at a time, though,
and see if that makes a difference.

Why would the steaming clothes create a weird smell when they never
have before? And this smell lingers. One friend thinks the motor
might be burning, but that's not what this smells like to me.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hi,
Look around outside in your yard where your dryer vents air out. Also,
think about what is buried in that area. Leaking utility? Or it could
be fertilizer, moth balls (explained the stink in my dryer), etc. If
it is vented up high then look in that area.